[comp.unix.xenix] Two monitors on a Xenix box

srb@beta.lanl.gov ( Steve Berger ) (12/15/88)

I have recently set up SCO Xenix 286 on an AT.  I have an AST
VGA card and a Zenith VGA monitor that don't want to work with
Xenix.  There's no way to lock the board in EGA mode.

My solution is to have two monitors on the system.  However,
the VGA card wants to be the primary display adapter all the time
no matter what settings I change.

I use Xenix and DOS on the same machine and would like to keep the VGA for
DOS applications.

My question is:

How can I get SCO Xenix to switch to the monochrome adapter on my system
upon start up?

I have tried several things with no luck, I think I'm on the right track
but haven't quite figured it out.

Is there a way to use stty, screen, or ioctl to switch adapters?

Any help is appreciated.

Steve

srb@lanl.gov

richard@neabbs.UUCP (RICHARD RONTELTAP) (12/16/88)

[ XENIX & VGA ]

XENIX 2.2.3 and higher are suppost to support VGA.
Get an upgrade!

Richard

srb@beta.lanl.gov ( Steve Berger ) (12/19/88)

In article <76974@neabbs.UUCP> richard@neabbs.UUCP (RICHARD RONTELTAP) writes:
>[ XENIX & VGA ]
>
>XENIX 2.2.3 and higher are suppost to support VGA.
>Get an upgrade!
>
>Richard

I have XENIX 2.2.3  it only supports VGA in EGA mode, and I can't lock
my board into EGA mode.  If it truly supported VGA I'd have no problem.

Someday they'll have VGA drivers, but till then I'm stuck.

Any other suggestions?

Steve

srb@lanl.gov

tbetz@spies.UUCP (Tom Betz) (12/21/88)

Quoth srb@beta.UUCP ( Steve Berger ) in <23006@beta.lanl.gov>:
|In article <76974@neabbs.UUCP> richard@neabbs.UUCP (RICHARD RONTELTAP) writes:
|>[ XENIX & VGA ]
|>
|>XENIX 2.2.3 and higher are suppost to support VGA.
|>Get an upgrade!
|>
|>Richard
|
|I have XENIX 2.2.3  it only supports VGA in EGA mode, and I can't lock
|my board into EGA mode.  If it truly supported VGA I'd have no problem.

Get upgrade "R" from 2.2.3 to 2.3.1.  It does support VGA monitors in VGA mode.

Got mine yesterday.

--
"Empty, try another."  -  Joni Mitchell -        |----------------
In a previous incarnation: tbetz@dasys1.UUCP     | Tom Betz