[comp.unix.xenix] Word Processing software for 286 SCO Xenix

mitchell@cadovax.UUCP (Mitchell Lerner) (12/20/88)

I have a friend that really wants to do Word Processing on his
buisnesses Xenix system along with his Order Entry and on-line
accounting.

I have identified three Word Processors that might do the job:

1. Word Perfect for 286 Xenix
2. Microsoft Word for 286 Xenix
3. SCO Lyrix

At this point the deciding factor would be price, which is why I am
posting this to the net.  The cheapest that I've found Word Perfect for
is $999, Microsoft Word ~~$500 and SCO Lyrix ~~$400 (if I remember correctly).

Is there a word processor that I haven't yet considered that I ought to?

Does anybody out there know the best prices for MS Word or Word Perfect???

Please respond via net news or by phone because my email path is screwed
up right now, so ignore the address in my .signature.

P.S.  He uses Wyse 60 terminals so the word processor will have to support
them.

(bus) 213-323-8170 #2250
(res) 213-851-4688

						Thanks,

						Mitchell
--
Mitchell Lerner -- UUCP:  {ucbvax, decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!mitchell
	Don't speak to him of your heartache, for he is speaking.

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (12/20/88)

]
]I have identified three Word Processors that might do the job:
]
]1. Word Perfect for 286 Xenix
]2. Microsoft Word for 286 Xenix
]3. SCO Lyrix
]
]At this point the deciding factor would be price...

Of course there's Tex, which is nog just a word processor but a true
typesetting program.

But since price is thhe deciding factor and Tex is free...

Paul.
|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     |

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (12/20/88)

.
. I have identified three Word Processors that might do the job:
.
. 1. Word Perfect for 286 Xenix
. 2. Microsoft Word for 286 Xenix
. 3. SCO Lyrix
.
. At this point the deciding factor would be price, which is why I am
. posting this to the net.  The cheapest that I've found Word Perfect for
. is $999, Microsoft Word ~~$500 and SCO Lyrix ~~$400 (if I remember correctly).

First, Word Perfect is only available for Xenix 386.  After speaking with
the company I was told that the 286 version was just too slow, and they
weren't releasing it at this time.

Second, we are currently using Lyrix.  While I haven't seen version 5.0, I
am definitely NOT impressed with it.

Jonathan Bayer
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.

terry@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) (12/20/88)

In article <2317@cadovax.UUCP> mitchell@cadovax.UUCP (Mitchell Lerner) writes:
>  [Stuff deleted]
>I have identified three Word Processors that might do the job:
>
>1. Word Perfect for 286 Xenix

Does this really exist?  When I saw the announcement of WordPerfect
for XENIX, the article said that it was '386 only.  Did WordPerfect
corp change their minds and produce a '286 version as well? I figured
they had gone for '386 only to avoid the segment braindamage of the
'286.

>  [Stuff Deleted]
>
>P.S.  He uses Wyse 60 terminals so the word processor will have to support
>them.

As far as WordPerfect goes, you are in luck here.  The support for the
Wyse 60 seems to be as good or better than any other terminal.  The
differences from the DOS version are minor as long as you have the AT
keyboard.

Good luck in your search.

--
Terry Hull                    Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
                                           Kansas State University

fred@cdin-1.uucp (Fred Rump) (12/22/88)

In article <8569@alice.UUCP>, debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) writes:
}  In article <2317@cadovax.UUCP}  mitchell@cadovax.UUCP (Mitchell Lerner) writes:
}  ]I have a friend that really wants to do Word Processing on his
}  ]buisnesses Xenix system along with his Order Entry and on-line
}  ]accounting.
}  ]
}
}  Of course there's Tex, which is nog just a word processor but a true
}  typesetting program.

and then, of course, there is FENIX - the wordstar clone from Sarasota, Fl
					I don't know the price but you may
					call: 813-351-5532
--
Fred Rump, Pres.       | UUCP: {rutgers,cbmvax,bellcore}!bpa!cdin-1!fred
CompuData, Inc.        |  or ...{allegra killer gatech!uflorida decvax!ucf-cs}

In article <505@eecea.eece.ksu.edu>, terry@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) writes:
<  In article <2317@cadovax.UUCP<  mitchell@cadovax.UUCP (Mitchell Lerner) writes:
<  <   [Stuff deleted]
<  >I have identified three Word Processors that might do the job:
<  <
<  >1. Word Perfect for 286 Xenix
<
<  Does this really exist?  When I saw the announcement of WordPerfect
<  for XENIX, the article said that it was '386 only.  Did WordPerfect
<  corp change their minds and produce a '286 version as well? I figured
<  they had gone for '386 only to avoid the segment braindamage of the
<  '286.
You're right. There is no 286 Word Perfect for Xenix.
--

bill@bilver.UUCP (bill vermillion) (12/22/88)

In article <505@eecea.eece.ksu.edu> terry@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) writes:
>In article <2317@cadovax.UUCP> mitchell@cadovax.UUCP (Mitchell Lerner) writes:
>>  [Stuff deleted]
>>I have identified three Word Processors that might do the job:
>>
>>1. Word Perfect for 286 Xenix
>
>Does this really exist?  When I saw the announcement of WordPerfect
>for XENIX, the article said that it was '386 only.

I do some work for a local community college.  Just brought 2 more SCO Xenix
installations on line today.  All the Xenix machines have been using Lex as the
word processor of choice.  Another area of campus uses stand-alone PC's and
they use Word Perfect.  So I called Word Perfect to check on the availability.
It is ONLY on the '386 machines in the small Unix/Xenix market.  Also for Vax.

Lex is a bit cumbersome to learn but very powerful.  Not for the faint of heart.
$495. A two day instructional seminar was held to teach those going to use it.
SCO's Lyrix is also decended from the same WP.  It was originally written in
England about 10 to 15 years ago on a PDP-11.

--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!rtmvax!bilver!bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

stacy@mcl.UUCP (Stacy L. Millions) (12/24/88)

In article <2317@cadovax.UUCP>, mitchell@cadovax.UUCP (Mitchell Lerner) writes:

> I have identified three Word Processors that might do the job:
>
> 1. Word Perfect for 286 Xenix

	This does not exist, Word Perfect is only available for the
	386. When I was talking to the people at WP the said they
	had no intentions of porting to the 286.

> 2. Microsoft Word for 286 Xenix
> 3. SCO Lyrix

> Is there a word processor that I haven't yet considered that I ought to?
	Lots of them, Fenix is a low cost Word Star look alike that works
reasonable well on the 286.

> Does anybody out there know the best prices for MS Word or Word Perfect???

The suggested list (not best price)
Word Perfect (386)     -	995
SCO Lyrix (286)        -	595
MS Word (286) from SCO -	595

Hope this helps.

-stacy

--
"He to whom the early bird runs best learns wisdom and patience!
                          ... I can never remember proverbs" - Charlie Brown