[comp.unix.xenix] Adaptec controller and Tape backup

raanan@bc-cis.UUCP (Raanan Herrmann) (12/26/88)

Background: Compaq 386 25 Mhz, Xenix 2.2.3, Adaptec ACB-2322 disk controller,
Miniscribe 320Mb disk-drive, Wangtek tape drive connected to a Bell
Technologies tape controller and the XTC driver.

Problem: tape drive does not respond properly in Xenix and DOS modes -
obviously there is address/interrupt/DMA conflicts (A/D/I). This problem
started as soon as I installed the new Adaptec controller and disk drive.
According to documentation, there should be no A/D/I conflict with the current
dip switches setting. I can not change the A/D/I on the tape controller as the
xenix driver works with only one set of A/D/I. I tried all the dip switches
combination on the Adaptec and no results. The two companies involved finger-
point at each other. Any ideas?

Ron Herrmann  (jkfmny!ron, ron@jkfmny.UUCP raanan@bklyncis.BITNET)

wain@seacbc.UUCP (Wain Dobson) (12/28/88)

In article <1330@bc-cis.UUCP> raanan@bc-cis.UUCP (Raanan Herrmann) writes:

>Background: Compaq 386 25 Mhz, Xenix 2.2.3, Adaptec ACB-2322 disk controller,
>Miniscribe 320Mb disk-drive, Wangtek tape drive connected to a Bell
>Technologies tape controller and the XTC driver.
>
>Problem: tape drive does not respond properly in Xenix and DOS modes -
>obviously there is address/interrupt/DMA conflicts (A/D/I).

What I cannot figure out is how you got the Wangtek, Bell Tech Controller, and
XTC driver to work. I have tried the combination under Bell Tech, first
release; Microport V/386 (last two versions), SCO 2.1.1 and 2.1.3 /286,
SCO 2.2.2 /386. All that I got was a long long wait while backing up. This has
been with a variety of controllers and drives.

--
Wain Dobson
	...!{uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!tessera!seacbc!wain