[comp.unix.xenix] Trouble with uucp/cu/dialing sharing a phone line

rsexton@uceng.UC.EDU (robert sexton) (12/20/88)

Hello.  I'm currently evaluating Xenix 2.2.3 286.  We are trying to get
uucp to share a line with dialup.  We are using BNU uucp.  cu has worked
in the past, but it now gives us ERROR:sytem not in systems file.  The
remote system is in the Systems file.  Is it possible to get xenix
to do both dialup and cu on the same line?  It seems we can get the
system to answer the phone reliably, or to dial out reliably, but not both.
Does xenix pay attention to /etc/inittab? I have uugetty set up, but that
does not seem to help anything.  Whenever cu uses the modem, it drops
dtr when it finishes the conversation, and turns off autoanswer.  I am
then left with a modem which will not answer the phone.  Help would be much
appreciated.  thanks.

--
Robert Sexton, University of Cincinnati
rsexton@uceng.uc.edu tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!uccba!uceng!rsexton

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (12/22/88)

In article <517@uceng.UC.EDU>, rsexton@uceng.UC.EDU (robert sexton) writes:
> Hello.  I'm currently evaluating Xenix 2.2.3 286.  We are trying to get
> uucp to share a line with dialup.  We are using BNU uucp.  cu has worked
> in the past, but it now gives us ERROR:sytem not in systems file.  The
> remote system is in the Systems file.  Is it possible to get xenix
> to do both dialup and cu on the same line?  It seems we can get the
> system to answer the phone reliably, or to dial out reliably, but not both.
> Does xenix pay attention to /etc/inittab? I have uugetty set up, but that
> does not seem to help anything.  Whenever cu uses the modem, it drops
> dtr when it finishes the conversation, and turns off autoanswer.  I am
> then left with a modem which will not answer the phone.  Help would be much
> appreciated.  thanks.

Who's BNU are you using?  SCO didn't have it available until the 2.3
release.  It sounds like you are using the SCO getty with someone's else
BNU.  The SCO getty has to be disabled if it is active by calling the
ungetty program.

Also, Xenix does not pay attention to inittab.  It uses the /etc/ttys
file instead.

Conclusion:  Get the 2.3 release from SCO.  It is a cleanly integrated
environment in which everything works.  I know it might not be available
yet, but give them a call.

Jonathan Bayer
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
--
life used to be so simple.

fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) (12/24/88)

In article <358@ispi.UUCP> jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:
>Also, Xenix does not pay attention to inittab.  It uses the /etc/ttys
>file instead.
>
>Conclusion:  Get the 2.3 release from SCO.  It is a cleanly integrated
>environment in which everything works.  I know it might not be available
>yet, but give them a call.

BEWARE!  The documentation for 2.3 claims that you can change inittab
and then execute "telinit 2", just like under "real unix", and it will
automatically regenerate the ttys file for you.  I naively changed a
couple of entries in the supplied inittab, without first looking at
or saving the ttys file, and ran "telinit 2".  Well, it regenerated
a ttys file for me alright, but apparently the original inittab was
out of sync with the original ttys file, because it no longer spawned
a getty to the console, causing me to think the system was hung.
Panic city (mine, not the computers :-) until I figured out what was
going on and changed inittab and ttys appropriately.

P.S., I still don't know what that original ttys file that I clobbered
looked like.  I don't feel like reinstalling the entire system to find
out.  Also, needless to say, I now have a full backup of the entire
system in case I clobber something else...

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish, 1346 West 10th Place, Tempe, AZ 85281,  USA
# asuvax!nud!fishpond!estinc!fnf          (602) 921-1113

root@mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US (Mark J. Bailey) (12/26/88)

Sandy has a *VERY* reliable version of init that is true to System V
Unix functionality!  I use it here and it has not failed me in over
8 months!!!  It has full inittab support and one can 'init S' from
anywhere terminal (even modems!!!) and go into single user mode.

The other BIG advantage is that it allows you to use other getty's and
getty frontends.  I implemented the 'modemctl' getty front end on my
xenix 2.3.1 system using Sandy's init.  Try that with SCO's! :-)

You can download either a 286 version or 386 version direct from Sandy's
bbs (XBBS - he wrote that too) at 1-714-898-8634.  He recently added
some telebit tb+'s.  The files are in the "Xenix Enhancements" area of
the file section.  I believe you can also tie into these with anon uucp.

The bottom line is that it works and follows all unix conventions.

Mark.

--
Mark J. Bailey                                    "Y'all com bak naw, ya hear!"
USMAIL: 511 Memorial Blvd., Murfreesboro, TN 37129 ___________________________

In article <391@mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US>, root@mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US (Mark J. Bailey) writes:
> Sandy has a *VERY* reliable version of init that is true to System V
> Unix functionality!...

Is this a PD init with source, or a binary-only version? I'd like to upgrade
some SIII-Xenix boxes to a SV inittab. I can't go to SV-Xenix because we need
to use some software that's only available for the older version.
Work: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.   `-_-'
Home: bigtex!texbell!sugar!peter, peter@sugar.uu.net.                 'U`
Opinions may not represent the policies of FICC or the Xenix Support group.

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (12/28/88)

In article <2565@ficc.uu.net>, peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> In article <391@mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US>, root@mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US (Mark J. Bailey) writes:
> > Sandy has a *VERY* reliable version of init that is true to System V
> > Unix functionality!...
>
> Is this a PD init with source, or a binary-only version? I'd like to upgrade
> some SIII-Xenix boxes to a SV inittab. I can't go to SV-Xenix because we need
> to use some software that's only available for the older version.

Unless Sandy has been able to ignore a copyright, he can only distribute
the binaries of the init.  I had the same question which he answered a
while ago.

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (12/29/88)

In article <368@ispi.UUCP> jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:
>Unless Sandy has been able to ignore a copyright, he can only distribute
>the binaries of the init.  I had the same question which he answered a
>while ago.

I had always assumed Sandy's "init" was written from scratch, and source
was available from him.  Anyway, I'm sure he'll clarify this.

Jonathan's comments were unclear as to who claims the copyright on Sandy's
init, and I may be stating the obvious, but just in case not, one cannot
distribute binaries compiled from licensed AT&T UNIX source code without an
appropriate "license to distribute binaries."  If the init is not AT&T
derived (which is what I had thought), Sandy would be bound only by the
agreement he had with the original author.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (12/29/88)

=
= I had always assumed Sandy's "init" was written from scratch, and source
= was available from him.  Anyway, I'm sure he'll clarify this.
=
= Jonathan's comments were unclear as to who claims the copyright on Sandy's
= init, and I may be stating the obvious, but just in case not, one cannot
= distribute binaries compiled from licensed AT&T UNIX source code without an
= appropriate "license to distribute binaries."  If the init is not AT&T
= derived (which is what I had thought), Sandy would be bound only by the
= agreement he had with the original author.

Sorry.  I should have said it.  Sandy said that it was AT&T source code.

--
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	"The time has come," the Walrus said...

In article <368@ispi.UUCP>, jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:
> In article <2565@ficc.uu.net>, peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> > Is this a PD init with source, or a binary-only version?

> [binary]

Well, is there a PD init out there somewhere?

Like, maybe, from the FSF?