[comp.unix.xenix] Know of a "smart" uninteruptable power source for a xenix box?

reza0@ihlpl.ATT.COM (H. Reza Zarafshar) (12/22/88)

which runs XENIX/386.  He is looking for something that would
log everyone out and kill the processes before power is cut off.

If you know of such a beast, I would love to hear from you.  Please
send me e-mail to:

att!ihlpl!reza0

Thanks,
Reza Zarafshar,
AT&T Bell Labs
(312)979-5104
att!ihlpl!reza0

doug@jando.uucp (Home of Little Miss Debug) (12/23/88)

In article <8252@ihlpl.ATT.COM>, reza0@ihlpl.ATT.COM (H. Reza Zarafshar) writes:
> which runs XENIX/386.  He is looking for something that would
> log everyone out and kill the processes before power is cut off.

	I've been using an American Powere 520 ES for about 2 months and the
	unit hasn't had any problems.  They have units from 450 VA - 1200 VA.
	They are located in Peace Dale, RI.  1-800-443-4519.

--doug rickman

ag@elgar.UUCP (Keith Gabryelski) (12/31/88)

In article <231@jando.uucp> doug@jando.uucp (Home of Little Miss Debug) writes:
>In article <8252@ihlpl.ATT.COM>, reza0@ihlpl.ATT.COM (H. Reza Zarafshar) writes:
>> which runs XENIX/386.  He is looking for something that would
>> log everyone out and kill the processes before power is cut off.
>>

>	I've been using an American Powere 520 ES for about 2 months and the
>	unit hasn't had any problems.  They have units from 450 VA - 1200 VA.
>	They are located in Peace Dale, RI.  1-800-443-4519.

First off, I work for Elgar Corporation (a direct competitor of APC).
I will try to keep my opinions out and the facts in.

Qualifications: I wrote Elgar's UniSafe product.

There is a problem with the scheme American Power uses to shutdown a
system.

In the event of a power failure, the system will execute a shutdown
script that will leave the computer hung until battery power has
depleted.  This can be undesirable in the event of multiple power
failures or if you expect your system to come back up after a power
failure.

That is, if the power failure last longer than battery power, your
batteries no longer have energy to support a power failure that may
occur 5 minutes after commercial power has been restored, (most likely
between 0 to 20 minutes after commercial power restoration, since the
power company is busy stabilizing the grid at this time).

If the power failure does not wear the batteries out, someone has to
physically hit a key on the keyboard before the system will start-up.
That is, your system is dead in the water.

Pax, Keith
--
ag@elgar.CTS.COM         Keith Gabryelski          ...!{ucsd, jack}!elgar!ag