[comp.unix.xenix] Erratum 21

root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) (12/26/88)

In article <245@lakesys.UUCP> steven@lakesys.UUCP (Steven Goodman) writes:
>	If this bug appears and you happen to have a Compaq, contact your
>dealer.  Compaq will ( free of charge ) add a small board which plugs into
>your 386 socket which will fix the "errata 20" bug.
>
>Not wanting to repeat what might have alreading been said on this subject but
>this bug only accurs when using a 387 chip and you can boot up your system
>to ignore the 387 until you receive some kinda fix.  From what I understand
>this is NOT fixable via software.

Intel is now shipping '386s that have the Erratum 21 bug fixed.  You can
identify the fixed part by the DX suffix in its part number: i80386DX.

Bell Technology, Ironwood Electronics Inc., (612) 431-7025, and others
I suspect, offer hardware fixes for this Intel problem.  I have not used
any of these products, so I cannot personally endorse any of them.

It would seem reasonable to approach Intel about replacing a buggy chip
with one of their new DX parts.  How could they refuse?

Larry Dighera

--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)

tanner@ki4pv.uucp (Dr. T. Andrews) (12/26/88)

In article <17383@conexch.UUCP>, root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) writes:
) It would seem reasonable to approach Intel about replacing a buggy
) chip with one of their new DX parts.  How could they refuse?

I suppose that they could refuse in the same way that they refused to
replace the parts which didn't work in "native" mode.  If they refuse
to replace an alleged "32-bit" CPU which doesn't work in 32-bit mode,
surely they can refuse to replace for something minor like this!
--
...!bikini.cis.ufl.edu!ki4pv!tanner  ...!bpa!cdin-1!cdis-1!ki4pv!tanner
or...  {allegra killer gatech!uflorida decvax!ucf-cs}!ki4pv!tanner

ed@imuse.uucp (Ed Braaten) (12/31/88)

In article <7067@ki4pv.uucp>, tanner@ki4pv.uucp (Dr. T. Andrews) writes:
> I suppose that they could refuse in the same way that they refused to
> replace the parts which didn't work in "native" mode.  If they refuse
> to replace an alleged "32-bit" CPU which doesn't work in 32-bit mode,
> surely they can refuse to replace for something minor like this!

Could you please clarify?  Are you referring to the 32-bit multiply
bug in older 80386's?  Who refused you a replacement?

Ed Braaten                    | "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
Intel Semiconductor GmbH      |  the intelligence of the intelligent I
Dornacher Strasse 1           |  will frustrate."  1 Corinthians 1:19
8016 Feldkirchen bei Muenchen |
West Germany                  | uucp: ed@imuse.uucp  Ph: +49 89 90992-426