[comp.unix.xenix] Upgrading Xenix -- Is there any hope?

chaney@ms.uky.edu (Dan Chaney) (12/30/88)

Hello all.

   I recently stumbled across a set of IBM Personal Computer Xenix.  The
manuals (all 7) say First Edition (December 1984).  I decided to throw it
on a 12 Mhz 286 clone and, with some help from a guru, it works...as well
as it can, I guess.

  My question is : Are there 'upgrade' kits that would bring this version
out of the stone ages?  Do I get a prize for finding a relic maybe? Also,
a history, as I am wholly unfamilar with the past of Xenix, would be a big
plus.

  If you have any questions, sage advice or just ohh-ahhs over an antique,
e-mail away.  In fact, you might want to try ...ukma!dans!dan .. and make
that xenix work for *you* (IBM Xenix...and I thought it was a contradiction!)

Thanks for any info, help, etc....

	dan

--
Dan Chaney
{uunet and the like}!ukma!chaney  chaney@ms.uky.edu  chaney@ukma.BITNET

wain@seacbc.UUCP (Wain Dobson) (12/31/88)

In article <10775@s.ms.uky.edu> chaney@ms.uky.edu (Dan Chaney) writes:

>   I recently stumbled across a set of IBM Personal Computer Xenix.  The
>manuals (all 7) say First Edition (December 1984).  I decided to throw it
>on a 12 Mhz 286 clone and, with some help from a guru, it works...as well
>as it can, I guess.

Try SCO. They upgraded me from the IBM version, but that was when SCO
first came out --- version 2.0.0.

--
Wain Dobson
	...!{uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!tessera!seacbc!wain

fr@icdi10.uucp (Fred Rump from home) (01/01/89)

In article <10775@s.ms.uky.edu>, chaney@ms.uky.edu (Dan Chaney) writes:
<
< Hello all.
<
<    I recently stumbled across a set of IBM Personal Computer Xenix.  The
< manuals (all 7) say First Edition (December 1984).  I decided to throw it
< on a 12 Mhz 286 clone and, with some help from a guru, it works...as well
< as it can, I guess.
<
<   My question is : Are there 'upgrade' kits that would bring this version
< out of the stone ages?  Do I get a prize for finding a relic maybe? Also,

Well you do have an antique. We found our IBM Xenixes to be so limiting after
we sold them to customers that we gratiously took them back and installed SCO
instead. When IBM then came out with 2.0 we thought we could save our
investment and spent almost as much again for the update sets. (6 of them)

It was not to be. Since our users talk to one another over e-mail and news, we
could not give the IBM restricted version to anybody WE knew. So they quietly
dissappeared to a foreign country where they believe IBM is next to Godliness
and it must be good.

Anyway I got 100 bucks a set for our cost of over 700 per set. That was the
last time I'll ever buy software form a hardware vendor whose main object is
to sell: hardware.

To answer your question: We were an IBM VAD then and tried to return the 2.0
version to them for something. No luck. They didn't want it back either. I
don't think you can buy and upgrade and probably would be better off throwing
the stuff in the trash and picking up a current copy of UNIX/Xenix from
anybody else.
Fred
--
{allegra killer gatech!uflorida decvax!ucf-cs}!ki4pv!cdis-1!cdin-1!icdi10!fr
26 Warren St.                ...{bellcore rutgers bpa uunet}!cdin-1!icdi10!fr

skrenta@eecs.nwu.edu (Richard Skrenta) (01/03/89)

I don't think you get a prize, sorry.  I too found myself with a rather
old version (2.0.4) and SCO told me that since I was so far out of date
they couldn't give me incremental upgrades.  Instead, they offered me half
off the price of a brand new Xenix set (manuals and all).  That was around
$645....

Rich Skrenta