[comp.unix.xenix] Xenix compatibility with ESDI controllers.

brennan@merk.UUCP (Rich Brennan) (01/06/89)

I am going to get some more disk storage, but instead of buying an
additional disk of the same type I currently have, I'd like to get an
ESDI disk. I'm running 386 Xenix 2.2.1, and it would be nice to not
have to upgrade to their ESDI version, which (according to their docs)
only handles 1024 cylinders.

I've been told that the WD1007 controller supports an ESDI controller
interface, but looks like the standard ST506 controllers to Xenix. Is this
true? And if so, anyone have leads on a good place to buy them?

If you reply by mail, I'll summarize if there's enough interest.

Thanks,

Rrrrrich.
--
...!{uunet,linus!alliant}!merk!root			Rich Brennan

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (01/07/89)

In article <368@merk.UUCP> brennan@merk.UUCP (Rich Brennan) writes:

>I've been told that the WD1007 controller supports an ESDI controller
>interface, but looks like the standard ST506 controllers to Xenix. Is this
>true? And if so, anyone have leads on a good place to buy them?

It is true.  It is also true that most mail-order shops which sell ESDI
drives will also sell the WD1007.

--
Jonathan Bayer				"The time has come," the Walrus said...
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.