[comp.unix.xenix] 8" floppy on AT/style controller

mikes@sir-alan.UUCP (Mike Squires) (01/08/89)

A recent posting to comp.sys.tandy showed how to attach an AT-style floppy to
the 8" floppy controller on a RS 6000 under XENIX.  Is it possible and has
anyone done the reverse - attaching a Tandon 848-2 to an AT style controller?

(I need to move files from RS 6000 format to XENIX 386, and having an 8"
drive attached to a 386 XENIX box would make it unnecessary to keep a 6000
in the closet for disk accesses).

Michael L. Squires   uucp: {necntc,cwjcc,hoptoad}!ncoast!peng!sir-alan!mikes
Department of Political Science            .!{pitt,uunet!convex}!sir-alan!mikes
Allegheny College                     BITNET: mikes%sir-alan@pitt.UUCP (VAX)
Meadville, PA 16335                           MIKES AT SIR-ALAN!PITT.UUCP (IBM)
Office: 814 332 3347             Internet: sir-alan!mikes@vax.cs.pittsburgh.edu
Home:   814 337 5528  Data: 814 {337-3159,337-0348} login of "ubbs" for BBS

jeff@drexel.UUCP (Jeff White) (01/14/89)

In article <10@sir-alan.UUCP>, mikes@sir-alan.UUCP (Mike Squires) writes:
> A recent posting to comp.sys.tandy showed how to attach an AT-style floppy to
> the 8" floppy controller on a RS 6000 under XENIX.  Is it possible and has
> anyone done the reverse - attaching a Tandon 848-2 to an AT style controller?
>
> (I need to move files from RS 6000 format to XENIX 386, and having an 8"
> drive attached to a 386 XENIX box would make it unnecessary to keep a 6000
> in the closet for disk accesses).

  Even if you could do this, it won't produce the result you are looking for.
The connection of a AT high density floppy on the 6000 only gave you a 5 1/4"
disk for storing your data, instead of the standard 8" format.  The disk was
not in DOS (or 286/386 Xenix) format - the drive was actually formatting to
1.25 Mbyte (the same as the 8" version), not the 1.2 Meg DOS version (note - I
don't have actually experience with this, I'm just repeating what I interpreted
from the original posting).
  Your bets bet would be to get an 8" disk controller are drive for the 386
(which are available), and then a device driver for it (which may not be so
easy).

						Jeff White
						Drexel University - ECE Dept.
						rutgers!bpa!drexel!jeff