[comp.unix.xenix] Thanks and one more question.

vikki@igloo.UUCP (Vikki Reid) (01/11/89)

As a VERY new SYSADM here I have walked into some serious problems and
I despreately need help and/or direction. I am NOT the SYSADM of IGLOO,
it is another site that is not connected into the net (yet).

A few days before I came on board the system "crashed".  We are running
an Icom XZ386 clone with XENIX 386 with 3 8 port digiboards.  The first
sign that something was wrong is that no one could login to the system.
Someone got into the system and removed all the passwords from /etc/passwd
and users can now login.  Any attempt to execute /bin/passwd prints out:

#_200_# passwd vikki
Enter new password (minimum of 5 characters)
Please use a combination of upper and lowercase letters and numbers.
#_201_#

There are several programs on the system (that according to the input
I am getting) that do the same thing - you execute the program and it
does everthing but actually run and then returns to the prompt.

I am fairly familiar with UNIX, but have never had to deal with a full
blown disaster before.  I am also less familiar with XENIX than UNIX.

I suspect that this has something to do with either a cracked kernal or
perms were messed up (but not so that I can tell).

My current plans are to backup the system (goddess willing there are no
problems with the cart-tape) and attempt to re-install.

Again, I appreciate any help in this matter.  Thanks, Regards, Vikki

chapman@sco.COM (Brian Chapman) (01/14/89)

In article <1386@igloo.UUCP> vikki@igloo.UUCP (Vikki Reid) writes:

>A few days before I came on board the system "crashed".
> [...] no one could login to the system.
>Someone got into the system and removed all the passwords from /etc/passwd
>and users can now login.  Any attempt to execute /bin/passwd prints out:

>#_200_# passwd vikki
>Enter new password (minimum of 5 characters)
>Please use a combination of upper and lowercase letters and numbers.
>#_201_#

It sounds to me like your /dev/tty node is either gone
or not properly accessible.

'login', 'passwd', 'su', sometimes 'more' all open /dev/tty
to get keyboard input and prevent having input redirected
to them.  Login doesn't need to open /dev/tty if there
is not passwd required.

Good luck.
--
	Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Brian Chapman		uunet!sco!chapman	SCO UNIX 3.2 Development