[comp.unix.xenix] Adding more processes to 386 XENIX

vikki@igloo.UUCP (Vikki Reid) (01/07/89)

Trying to figure out why when we have 5 users we run out of processes
whenever the fourth user tries to login.  If I remember correctly it
reports that there are no more available processes.  SOMEWHERE I "remember"
that one has to change a variable called ULIMIT and re-compile the kernal ?

It has been a VERY long day and any information will be most appreciated.

Thanks again.  Vikki.

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (01/08/89)

In article <1357@igloo.UUCP> vikki@igloo.UUCP (Vikki Reid) writes:
>Trying to figure out why when we have 5 users we run out of processes
>whenever the fourth user tries to login.  If I remember correctly it
>reports that there are no more available processes.  SOMEWHERE I "remember"
>that one has to change a variable called ULIMIT and re-compile the kernal ?

cd /usr/sys/conf
look in xenixconf
limits are all there, including processes, processes per user, etc.
change xenixconf (and possible "master") and type make
then mv /xenix /xenix.old and mv xenix / and reboot

Paul.

|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     |

chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (01/10/89)

According to debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra):
>cd /usr/sys/conf
>look in xenixconf
>limits are all there, including processes, processes per user, etc.
>change xenixconf (and possible "master") and type make
>then mv /xenix /xenix.old and mv xenix / and reboot

This method is not the best.  (Quick:  Which symbol is "max processes per
user"?  Which symbol is "max processes in system"?)

Try this instead:

	cd /usr/sys/conf
	./configure
	./link_xenix

It's much friendlier, and there's no chance of changing one label when
you really wanted to change a slightly different one.
--
Chip Salzenberg             <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering             Me?  Speak for my company?  Surely you jest!

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (01/15/89)

In article <1357@igloo.UUCP>, vikki@igloo.UUCP (Vikki Reid) writes:
> Trying to figure out why when we have 5 users we run out of processes
> whenever the fourth user tries to login.  If I remember correctly it
> reports that there are no more available processes.  SOMEWHERE I "remember"
> that one has to change a variable called ULIMIT and re-compile the kernal ?

					   ^^^^^^
I don't think that this var exists, but if it does, it would have to do with
the max size of a file on disk...  IT sounds to me like you have given each
user the same login.  Usually there are something like 20 or 25 processes
allowed per user (this is configurable).  It is far better to give each user a
unique login.

derek
--
Derek Terveer 	    det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG || ..!uunet!rosevax!elric!hawkmoon!det
		    w(612)681-6986   h(612)688-0667

"A proper king is crowned" -- Thomas B. Costain