[comp.unix.xenix] Sending C/Rs for UUCP login

dave@well.UUCP (Dave Hughes) (01/07/89)

  I have a simple (to most of you here) problem that the solution I was
given that works with other flavors of unix, doesn't seem to for
Xenix 386 2.2.2 uucp.
  One uucp neighbor I am trying to connect to at 1200 baud, had a 2400
baud modem that requires a c/r or two to set it to 1200 and
present login. I tried to add the following to the L.sys login
routine for that site' "" \d\d\d \r ogin:-@-ogin: uucp word: thepassword '
where the \r is supposed to send a c/r to his modem, but does not seem
to under this flavor of uucp.
 WHat else can I try there - or by modification of the dialer?
Dave Hughes
hplabs!well!dave

edf@rocky2.rockefeller.edu (David MacKenzie) (01/09/89)

In article <10265@well.UUCP> dave@well.UUCP (Dave Hughes) writes:
>where the \r is supposed to send a c/r to his modem, but does not seem
>to under this flavor of uucp.
> WHat else can I try there - or by modification of the dialer?

We're not running Xenix, but our version of uucico doesn't support '\r'
either.  The solution we use is to just insert actual Ctrl-M's in the
L.sys file (in vi, for example, you can do this by typing 'Ctrl-VCtrl-M'
in insert mode).
-----
David MacKenzie
Environmental Defense Fund
edf@rocky2.rockefeller.edu (...rutgers!cmcl2!rocky2!edf)

john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US (John Owens) (01/11/89)

The uucico that comes with 2.2 doesn't recognize \d, \r, and such.
Call SCO and ask for the "Telebit support diskette" (even if you don't
have a telebit); the uucico on the diskette supports all these things.
--
John Owens		john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US		uunet!jetson!john
+1 301 249 6000		john%jetson.uucp@uunet.uu.net

billp@scr1.UUCP (01/11/89)

In article <240@rocky8.rockefeller.edu>, edf@rocky2.rockefeller.edu.UUCP writes:
> In article <10265@well.UUCP> dave@well.UUCP (Dave Hughes) writes:
> >where the \r is supposed to send a c/r to his modem, but does not seem
> >to under this flavor of uucp.
> > WHat else can I try there - or by modification of the dialer?

My question is -- how do you put in delays.  (We've got a very annoying Micom
here.

Bill Pechter, 103 Governors Road, Lakewood New Jersey  08701
Concurrent Computer (201)870-4780 / (201) 370-0709 Evenings EST

news@brian386.UUCP (Wm. Brian McCane) (01/18/89)

In article <10265@well.UUCP> dave@well.UUCP (Dave Hughes) writes:

>  I have a simple (to most of you here) problem that the solution I was
>given that works with other flavors of unix, doesn't seem to for
>Xenix 386 2.2.2 uucp.
>  One uucp neighbor I am trying to connect to at 1200 baud, had a 2400
>baud modem that requires a c/r or two to set it to 1200 and
>present login. I tried to add the following to the L.sys login
>routine for that site' "" \d\d\d \r ogin:-@-ogin: uucp word: thepassword '
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>where the \r is supposed to send a c/r to his modem, but does not seem
>to under this flavor of uucp.

I think this should fix your problem, except I need to know if that is
exactly what you used.  It should be somthing like:

	<phone_number> "" \d\d\d\r\d\d\r ogin:-@-ogin: uucp word: passwd

Note there are no spaces in the \d's and \r's.  If you used what you
typed above, then you system expected nothing, waited app. 6 secs, and
then expected a carriage return.  If this doesn't work, you might try a
\c after each \r, I can't remember if that is necessary or not.

	brian