[comp.unix.xenix] Tecmar tape drives: OK so far

chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (01/18/89)

I've got a Tecmar external tape drive working with Xenix/386 2.3.1.

Sorta.

I can't keep it streaming!  I've tried afio with large block sizes and
large -c values, and it's no help.  What can I do?
--
Chip Salzenberg             <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering             Me?  Speak for my company?  Surely you jest!

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (01/18/89)

In article <1989Jan17.151821.26311@ateng.ateng.com> chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>I've got a Tecmar external tape drive working with Xenix/386 2.3.1.
>
>I can't keep it streaming!  I've tried afio with large block sizes and
>large -c values, and it's no help.  What can I do?

This seems to be a limitation of the OS.  We are using an Everex
external tape drive with the same problem.  It seems that the tape
driver has an internal buffer which it uses.  It fills up the buffer and
then writes it to the tape.  While filling up the buffer it is not
writing.

BTW, while reading it does stream.  Try making a very large tar tape,
and then scan the tape with "tar -tvf /dev/rct0" (or whatever your tape
device is).  It will read the tape continously.

JB

--
Jonathan Bayer				Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	        tunnel may be an oncoming dragon