[comp.unix.xenix] Xenix version, ahem, based on System ahem...?

There seems to be total chaos on the naming front in the Xenix world. We're
running Xenix 3.5, which is an old Xenix based on SIII or V7 (depending on
who you talk to). Meanwhile the SV-based Xenixes seem to have names like
Xenix 2.2.1.

What's the naming history of Xenix, and what are the different versions
based on?
Work: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.   `-_-'
Home: bigtex!texbell!sugar!peter, peter@sugar.uu.net.                 'U`
Opinions may not represent the policies of FICC or the Xenix Support group.

daveh@marob.MASA.COM (Dave Hammond) (01/19/89)

In article <2790@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>There seems to be total chaos on the naming front in the Xenix world. We're
>running Xenix 3.5, which is an old Xenix based on SIII or V7 (depending on
>who you talk to). Meanwhile the SV-based Xenixes seem to have names like
>Xenix 2.2.1.
>
>What's the naming history of Xenix, and what are the different versions
>based on?

The Xenix's distributed by SCO (for generic *86's), have had version
numbers 2.*.* for the past 3 or 4 years.  The current OS version
is 2.3.*, the current Development version is 2.2.*.  SCO Xenix has
gone through a progressive upgrade from System III-based (with BSD extensions)
to System V-based (ditto) with each new version.

To the best of my knowledge, hardware vendor-supplied Xenix's (Altos,
Tandy, etc.) were originally ported from a Microsoft-supplied, V7-based
Xenix known as Xenix 3.*.  However, I believe these manufacturers newer
386-based machines run a newer Xenix (possibly System V-based).

In all cases (regardless of porting base) Xenix runs a V7-style init/getty
login.  Newer versions have optional inittab login handling.

--
Dave Hammond
...!uunet!masa.com!{marob,dsix2}!daveh