[comp.unix.xenix] ESDI Disk Drive for IBM PS/2-80 and SCO Xenix

kessler%cons.utah.edu@wasatch.UUCP (Robert R. Kessler) (01/19/89)

After reading recent postings, it seems that the ESDI drives have the
best performance characteristics for our requirements on our PS/2-80
SCO Xenix system.  So, the obvious question, is what controller
manufacturers and drives have you netlanders had success with?  It
seems that everyone always runs out of disk space, so we are
interested in as large a disk drive as we can get.  Like 150M or 300M.

Thanks for any input you may have.

Bob.

bill@bilver.UUCP (bill vermillion) (01/21/89)

In article <921@wasatch.UUCP> kessler%cons.utah.edu@wasatch.UUCP (Robert R. Kessler) writes:

>After reading recent postings, it seems that the ESDI drives have the
>best performance characteristics for our requirements on our PS/2-80
>SCO Xenix system.  So, the obvious question, is what controller
>manufacturers and drives have you netlanders had success with?

Unless you have the model 80 with the 40 meg drive you already have an ESDI
controller in it.  The 80-71, 80-111, 80-311 have 70, 115 and 315 meg drives
in them.  The latter two are 20 mhz machines.  The 80-71 is 16mhz.  The 70-41
(??) the one with the 40 meg drive is not ESDI.  If that is the one you have
you are going to have to go to IBM for the controller I suspect.  No reason
for add-on controllers on machines that have them as standard - since there is
no floppy 80 listed.

You can support up to two ESDI's in the box.  I think (THINK!) there is a
limitation on how large they can be with SCO.  That probably will change.  I
currently have the 70-111.  When I need another drive it will be the 300.
Magazine reviews testing the 80 have plugged in many mfrs ESDI drives with no
problems.

--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!rtmvax!bilver!bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP