[comp.unix.xenix] Disk layouts.

brennan@merk.UUCP (Rich Brennan) (01/19/89)

  Anyone ever experiment with putting their Xenix swap partition in the
middle of their disk? It seems like divvy will let you do so, and on a
heavy swapping/paging system it might be a good idea so you don't have
to seek as far to do swapping/paging (on the average, of course). This
configuration will mean you'll have to have (at least) 3 partitions on
your disk, which might not be optimal for most people.

Rrrrrich.
--
...!{uunet,linus!alliant}!merk!root			Rich Brennan

neese@cpe.UUCP (01/20/89)

This is the only way we set up our systems here.  During the installation
of SCO Xenix it is quite simple to do so.  At the question that asks
if you want to take manual control of the installation you can move the
swapper in the middle.  It does provide a performance gain, if you set
your second partition after the swapper to be the /usr partition.  This
allows programs that will require the system to swap from moving the
disk heads as little as possible in most cases.

					Roy Neese
					Tandy Computer Product Engineering
				UUCP@	{texbell,killer,merch}!cpe!neese

ag@elgar.UUCP (Keith Gabryelski) (01/23/89)

In article <3400003@cpe> neese@cpe.UUCP writes:
>[Performance gains when the swap area is not at the end of the disk.]
>if you set
>your second partition after the swapper to be the /usr partition.

I tried setting my 2.3.1 system up with a separate /usr partition.  Be
aware that SCO did not intend for this to be done.

/etc/rc.d/1/sdaemons invokes CRON (which uses /usr/{lib,spool}/cron),
and LOGGER (which uses /usr/adm/...); both require /usr, if it is
in a separate filesystem from /, to be mounted.

Mounting of other filesystems is done in /etc/rc.d/2/mntfs.

I had to specifically mount /usr in /etc/rc.d/0/sysinit.

There was also a problem with /usr/bin/logname not existing.  I
created a /usr/bin on the root partition and stuck logname (along with
some other useful /usr/bin stuff there.

I can't remember if the logname problem was a customization problem of
mine or if the distribution disks had that problem.

Pax, Keith

--
ag@elgar.CTS.COM         Keith Gabryelski          ...!{ucsd, crash}!elgar!ag