[comp.unix.xenix] WD8003E and ISC 386/ix

scf@statware.UUCP (Steve Fullerton) (01/21/89)

Has anyone managed to successfully install the WD8003E card for
ISC 386/ix 1.0.6?  In particular, for host-based TCP/IP?  My wit's
end was passed long ago.

The particulars:

      20 Mhz CSS 386-A
      4 Mb RAM
      EGA

I have removed the serial cards and my kernel is up to unix.std.10.
I have tried IRQ 2,3 and 5.  Shared memory base address 0xCC000, 0xD0000,
and 0xD40000.  I can ping localhost, but not the local host name or anything
else on the net.

--
Steve Fullerton                        Statware, Inc.
scf%statware.uucp@cs.orst.edu          260 SW Madison Ave, Suite 109

jack@turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (01/23/89)

In article <1127@statware.UUCP> scf%statware.UUCP@cs.orst.edu (Steve Fullerton) writes:
>Has anyone managed to successfully install the WD8003E card for
>ISC 386/ix 1.0.6?  In particular, for host-based TCP/IP?  My wit's
>end was passed long ago.
>

>I have removed the serial cards and my kernel is up to unix.std.10.
>I have tried IRQ 2,3 and 5.  Shared memory base address 0xCC000, 0xD0000,
>and 0xD40000.  I can ping localhost, but not the local host name or anything
>else on the net.

Steve,	Have you tried running the WD supplied diagnostic program. It is on
the supplied floppy disk in a subdirectory called test I believe. The reason
I ask is that I am also having problems with the 8003E in a 20Mhz 386 system.

Running the diagnostic program has indicated that regardless of what interrupt
I use it fails the interrupt test. Now I have run DOS programs on the system
that work, but a Unix based TCP/IP packages such as ISC's or the one I am
working on under Xenix386 are interrupt driven and hence will not work. For
instance, my driver only reads packets from the card's ring-buffer when it
receives an interrupt from the card.

At this point I know the card is OK, when put into a 10Mhz 286 box it passes
all tests. What I don't know is whether WD's hardware can't handle the 20Mhz
system speed or if I have motherboard problems (turnkey is an Atronics 386
based system). So I suggest you try the diagnostics if you haven't and send
me some mail on the results (or just send me the answers if you have previously
used the diagnostics). If we have similar problems with the hardware I may
be able to get a friend who works at WD (donegan@stanton.TCC.COM) to have them
investigate the problem.

					Good luck,

--
Jack F. Vogel
Turnkey Computer Consultants, Costa Mesa, CA