[comp.unix.xenix] What sort of support is there for T

uhclem@trsvax.UUCP (01/19/89)

<Cross-post from comp.sys.tandy>
B>	1) Has anyone ported GNU C to the 6000?  If so how can we get
B>	   executables for it?
Yes it has been done.  However GNU really needs more than 1 Meg
of program memory. (Ram-SWAP does NOT help that much here.)

B>	2) How difficult/expensive is it to add more mass storage?
The hard disk drives are standard ST506/ST412-compatible drives.  If
you have a 16B-HD or a 6000-HD, you are limited to two drives (one internal
and one external) unless you are willing to do a lot of work.  If you
don't have a built-in, then up to four external drives can be used.  These
can be up to 1024 cylinder by 8 heads.  (This can be increased by other
modifications.)  I use a 1024x9 drive simply because it was cheaper at
the time than any other 1024x8 drive around.  The 1024x9 cost $559.
You can use 8" or 5-1/4" hi-cap floppy drives.

You can add Bernoulli boxes (Iomega removable media) to your system.  It
supports up to 2 8" 10-megabyte or 2 8" 20-megabyte cartridges.  Increasing
that to four drives is not beyond reason.  The resulting cartridge format for
tars is identical to that used on the 286/386 systems Tandy sells.  The
8" drives aren't available from Tandy anymore, but you can get them at many
mail-order computer shops.  The drive is expensive $1000+, and the media runs
about $70 per 10-Megabyte cartridge.

You can also add SCSI hard drives and 9-track tape if you are willing to
get far off the supported track.

B>	3) How difficult/expensive is it to add more memory?
As expensive as it is for any other machine these days.  The 6000 allows
up to 1 Megabyte of RAM for program space.  Additional RAM can be
used for a RAM-swap device.  Buying the memory board (even with 0K) from
Tandy is getting hard, but there are other makers of compatible memory
boards out there.  A MMU extension is available from a third party vendor
that will allow up to four megabytes of program RAM.  This extension is not
quite as expensive as the RAM you will need to use it, but a cheaper solution
may be on the way.  Memory must be 150nsec for the 8MHZ system.

B>	4) What version of Xenix is considered minimal to be used as a USENET
B>	   node?
People have been using it for USENET since the earliest V7 releases from
Tandy (1.x.x).  However the latest System III versions (3.2.x) is preferable.

B>	5) Is it possible to add more RS232 ports to it?
The basic machine has two built-in.  Up until the 3.2.0 release, only
one 3-port board (a total of 5 ports) was advertised although some large
customers got support for a second board added.  You could use it but
not report problems with it.  As of 3.2.0, two 3-port boards are officially
supported, bringing the official total to 8 ports.  A third board
happens to work in 3.2. (12 ports), but that is unsupported.

	6) Is it a good deal at $100?  $200?
If in good condition, sure.

B>probably be best to respond via E-Mail.
Sorry, faulty or non-existant path.  Besides, too much inaccurate info
has already been posted.

<This information is provided by an individual and is not nor should be
 construed  as  being  provided  by  Radio  Shack or Tandy Corp.  Radio
 Shack/Tandy Corp has no obligation to support the information provided
 in  any  way.   Geez!  I invented  this disclaimer  and now  everybody
 uses it whenever they want.>

					"Thank you, Uh Clem."
					Frank Durda IV @ <trsvax!uhclem>
				...decvax!microsoft!trsvax!uhclem
				...sys1!hal6000!trsvax!uhclem

bill@bilver.UUCP (bill vermillion) (01/23/89)

In article <196500023@trsvax> uhclem@trsvax.UUCP writes:

 B>	2) How difficult/expensive is it to add more mass storage?
>The hard disk drives are standard ST506/ST412-compatible drives. ....
>These can be up to 1024 cylinder by 8 heads.  (This can be increased by other
>modifications.)                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Care to expand on these other modifications.  It surely would be handy.  I am
running a fairly short expire on news to keep the drives from overflowing.
It would be a lot more convenient to have a couple of big drives than 4
smaller ones.
--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!rtmvax!bilver!bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP