[comp.unix.xenix] Altos XENIX/SCO XENIX

dbinette@van-bc.UUCP (Dave Binette) (01/15/89)

In article <402@mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US> root@mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US (Mark J. Bailey) writes:
>In article <598@tapa.UUCP>, larry@tapa.UUCP (Larry Pajakowski) writes:
>> Uuto is also on the 2.2 286 and 386 versions of pre HDP SCO Xenix.
... text deleted ...
>The word 'Altos' represents a completely different ball game.  Altos has
>good equipment, but their PROPRIETARY xenix is *NO* SCO 286.  You can't even
>take binaries from SCO (ie, products of the cc on SCO) and run them on
>the 286 Altos.  Something to do with the header formats being different.

according to the SCO docs (very roughly quoted)
"... Altos has not used the latest microsoft compiler ...
 ... Altos plans to correct this ..."

>While SCO has uuto (and everyone else), it is not at all suprising that
>Altos would have left them out.  No offense to Altos, they just do things
>differently...there own way.

thats for sure! The Altos version I used had many ?BSD? utilitys bundled in
the development system.
Even in the standard utilitys I found that by linking or renaming them
there was all kinds of enhancements available.

For example the    wc    command:
normally it behaved like the standard  Word Count  programme
it counted  words  lines  and  characters.
Linking it to wclptb or some such radically enhanced it to also provide
info on # of  66 line pages, transmisssion time at various baud rates etc.

This was discovered by running 'strings' on the  wc  programme.

There are lots of nice features in  the Altos XENIX package, even if you DO
have to hunt around for some of them.

mark@cbnews.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) (01/20/89)

In article <2148@van-bc.UUCP> dbinette@van-bc.UUCP (Dave Binette) writes:
>For example the    wc    command:
>normally it behaved like the standard  Word Count  programme
>it counted  words  lines  and  characters.
>Linking it to wclptb or some such radically enhanced it to also provide
>info on # of  66 line pages, transmisssion time at various baud rates etc.
>
>This was discovered by running 'strings' on the  wc  programme.

Sounds like the -v (verbose) option I added to the 4.0BSD
wc command.  You might try "wc -v" to see if it gives all that stuff.
(It's not in 4.3BSD's wc, Rob Pike made them take it out.)
I have an alias "count=wc -v" to use this.

	Mark

wisner@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bill Wisner) (01/21/89)

>Sounds like the -v (verbose) option I added to the 4.0BSD wc command.
>(It's not in 4.3BSD's wc, Rob Pike made them take it out.)

Why?

chet@pirate.CWRU.EDU (Chet Ramey) (01/21/89)

[Mark Horton says:]

and Bill Wisner <wisner@cis.ohio-state.edu> then asks:

>Why?

[If indeed it was Rob Pike who "made them take it out"]

Rob Pike's views concerning `unnecessary' (`frivolous'? :-) options to Unix
commands are well known (cf.  "cat -v Considered Harmful" (Toronto Usenix,
1983), "The Unix Programming Environment" (IEEE Computer, around 1984, as
well as the book of the same name), and an article along the same lines in
the second BSTJ Unix issue in '84).

He is one of the more vocal `Unix minimalists', and has stated more than
once that adding options to an existing program that result in `new
behavior' runs counter to the Unix philosophy and should be stamped out
(well, that's probably a little strong, but you get the idea).  (For
example, cat making funny characters visible with -v is at odds with its
original purpose, concatenating files.  He has used the BSD ls columnation
of its file lists as another example of this.)  The alternative he has
espoused is more small tools that do one specific task (as an example:
the implementation of `vis' in "The Unix Programming Environment" to do
the job of `cat -v').

I would guess that he thought wc's `-v' option was sufficiently removed from
wc's original purpose to be undesirable.  (Mark, how much did it increase
code size?)

I should say that I am not attempting to attribute opinions to Rob that
he may not hold; these are merely my interpretations of some of the material
he has written.

Chet Ramey			"His efforts in support of this worthy cause
Network Management Group	 were warmly applauded by the doctors; several
Case Western Reserve University	 nurses also gave him the clap."
chet@{cwjcc,pirate}.CWRU.EDU			--  "Weekend Warriors"

mark@cbnews.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) (01/24/89)

>[Mark Horton says:]
>
>>>Sounds like the -v (verbose) option I added to the 4.0BSD wc command.
>>>(It's not in 4.3BSD's wc, Rob Pike made them take it out.)
>
>and Bill Wisner <wisner@cis.ohio-state.edu> then asks:
>
>>Why?

>[Chet Ramey Says:]
>I would guess that he thought wc's `-v' option was sufficiently removed from
>wc's original purpose to be undesirable.  (Mark, how much did it increase
>code size?)

I didn't measure it, but the mods were pretty simple.  Unless it brought
in printf which wasn't there before or something like that.  (It's been
10 years.)  I doubt it added more than 15 lines of code.

Actually, this is pretty ironic.  I took the wc command, added the
page count and transmissions time, put in a header, and called it
"count".  I used it heavily to estimate uucp transfer times.  This
was while I was at Berkeley.  I thought the tool to be generally
useful, so I tried to get it into 4BSD.  Bill Joy was at the time
trying to reduce the size of the manual by combining several small
filters into existing commands*, and he said "no" to count.  So I
made a -v option to wc instead, and while he didn't care much for
the functionality, he felt he couldn't object to adding an option.
I thought Rob objected to growth of the system, whether by adding
options or commands, but if Chet is right, then Rob and I were in
agreement about this without realizing it.

	Mark

*	"see" became "cat -vt"
	"ssp" became "cat -s"
	"num" became "cat -n"

	The current UNIX system philosophy seems to be that these
	should become options to the pr command, in conjunction
	with the -t option.