[comp.unix.xenix] Word Perfect 5.0 killed my Xenix system!!

tbetz@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Betz) (01/26/89)

WARNING!! There may be some serious problems using WP 5.0 under VP/ix!

I just ran into this today, havn't come across a resolution yet, but be
forewarned:  Having just installed VP/ix, I went to install WP 5.0. (11-15)
Since WP requires a C: drive, and I had set up VP/ix to provide a local
C: psuedo-drive, I installed WP on the C: psuedo-drive.

Called it from the command line, loaded just fine, looked great.
Recognized my VGA card and everything.  <Shift>-F1 to setup.  Selected
Keyboard layout.  Selected 1, Select.

Dead freeze.

Nothing I did (tried to <Ctrl><Alt><Delete>, tried to multiscreen out,
tried to login: from the attached terminal) had any effect.  Nothing.

Dead hang.

Finally, in desparation, turned off the power.  Waited a while, turned
it back on.

Nothing.  Blank screen.  Didn't even give me the "Phoenix Bios..."
message, never got to the disk access part of the process.

I don't know what happened, I can't imagine what WP might have done or
tried to do.  All I know is, it killed my Wyse 3216.  And I'm not pleased.

So beware, folks.  This could happen to you!

Just to find out, I went through the same keystroke sequence on the AT
clone where WP is currently installed. (It belongs to Accounting, who
wants the space it takes up, which is why I was installing it on the
Xenix machine in the first place) and it also caused a system hang (I
guess because I'm asking to select from a nonexistent list of Keyboard
Setups) but I was able to <Ctrl><Alt><Delete> successfully out of that
one.  Grrrrrrr....

I'll report any solution I come up with.

I'm also open to >any< suggestions, at this point.

--
"Big Bob says he's getting tired of you saying he |"Do you think God lets
 doesn't really exist."  - Fat Little Nerdy Kid - | you plea bargain?"

rfrye@netxcom.UUCP (Rob Frye) (01/27/89)

In article <8461@dasys1.UUCP> tbetz@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Betz) writes:
>WARNING!! There may be some serious problems using WP 5.0 under VP/ix!
[details deleted...]
>Nothing.  Blank screen.  Didn't even give me the "Phoenix Bios..."
>message, never got to the disk access part of the process.
>
>I don't know what happened, I can't imagine what WP might have done or
>tried to do.  All I know is, it killed my Wyse 3216.  And I'm not pleased.

I had a Wyse 3216 die on me similarly recently (with just Xenix).  Symptoms
similar at power on, but the LCD display read "02 CMOS Fail" *sometimes*
at that point, and the 3 keyboard LEDs stayed lit entirely.

Turned out that it was the "power good" lead from the motherboard to the
CPU board -- if it isn't connected properly the system thinks it can't boot.
Look for a small wire running from about 3 slots left of the power supply
snaking around to the top, left, front of the CPU board.  Also check
the seating of the boards and the memory bus extension card.  Good luck!!
--
Rob Frye
NetExpress Communications, Inc.		Phone: (703)749-2234

tbetz@spies.UUCP (Tom Betz) (01/31/89)

Quoth tbetz@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Betz - me at another site) in <8461@dasys1.UUCP>:
|WARNING!! There may be some serious problems using WP 5.0 under VP/ix!
|
|I just ran into this today, haven't come across a resolution yet, but be
|forewarned:  Having just installed VP/ix, I went to install WP 5.0. (11-15)

[... tale of freezup and subsequent death of Xenix system deleted ...]

Just in case it looks to you like I'm saying the combination of WP 5.0 and
VP/ix turned my motherboard into a PROM burner, no, I am not saying that.

Only that WP's freezeup under VP/ix contributed to the ultimate death of the
3216.

Current working hypothesis holds that the 3216 (the third I've been shipped,
and the first one on which I could initialize the HD) had an incipient flaw,
perhaps a loose connection, that the power-down/power-up cycle triggered.

I'm waiting impatiently for Wyse to come up with a fourth (and FINAL!) machine
before I reach any conclusions; though I am pricing an equivalent HP system...

--
  "One of these days the Hoover factory     |  Tom Betz       EAA#48267
    is gonna be all the rage in those       |  ZCNY, Yonkers, NY 10701-2509