[comp.unix.xenix] idleout won't let /etc/rc exit, and CMS tape driver

brian@alzabo.UUCP (Brian Hilchie) (01/30/89)

(system: SCO Xenix 2.3)

If I try to start an idleout daemon by putting it in the initialization
scripts the process /bin/sh /etc/rc won't exit after the boot is
complete.  Anybody know why this happens and how I can fix it?

Also, thanks to those who replied to my request for help with
the Colorado Memory Systems tape drive.  I managed to get a driver
from CMS, but I'm not very happy with it.  Unless I use the drive
in single user mode even a simple tar will occasionally lock up
unpredictably.  And the driver adds 100K to the size of the kernel!
I recommend you stay away from CMS unless you're willing to write
your own driver.
--
Brian Hilchie   <>   brian@alzabo.uucp   <>   uunet!mitel!sce!scs!alzabo!brian

"Well, I noticed the lad with the thermonuclear device was the Chief
Constable for the area."

fischer@netmbx.UUCP (Axel Fischer) (02/01/89)

In article <303@alzabo.UUCP> brian@alzabo.UUCP (Brian Hilchie) writes:
>If I try to start an idleout daemon by putting it in the initialization
>scripts the process /bin/sh /etc/rc won't exit after the boot is
>complete.  Anybody know why this happens and how I can fix it?
I would try:
/etc/idlestop <TERMINALS> &

By the way, if you are using the PD idlestop.c that was posted to the net
some time ago - I contains a nice litte bug in the user() function.
I looks as it runs perfectly ok - but it won't throw any User out and core dumps
in the /etc directory.
Change the mailer in user() or fix the sendmail Options.
After this I'm very happy with it- no more problems.
Thanks to manes@MASA.com for this nice little program.

-Axel

--
Domain:        fischer@netmbx.UUCP
Europe:        ...!tmpmbx!netmbx!fischer