[comp.unix.xenix] Word Perfect 5.0 killed my Xenix sy

tif@cpe.UUCP (02/02/89)

Written  8:10 pm  Jan 30, 1989 by spies.UUCP!tbetz in cpe:comp.unix.xenix
>Current working hypothesis holds that the 3216 (the third I've been shipped,
>and the first one on which I could initialize the HD) had an incipient flaw,
>perhaps a loose connection, that the power-down/power-up cycle triggered.

(Sure, it's still a flaw that should be dealt with but)
A Reset Button:  What a concept!

Was it IBM that invented this foolishness of no reset button?
Is there really a reason?  (Is there a better place to ask?)

Just in a rambling mood ...

			Paul Chamberlain
			Computer Product Engineering, Tandy Corp.
			{killer | texbell}!cpe!tif

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (02/02/89)

In article <132500004@cpe> tif@cpe.UUCP writes:

>Written  8:10 pm  Jan 30, 1989 by spies.UUCP!tbetz in cpe:comp.unix.xenix
>>Current working hypothesis holds that the 3216 (the third I've been shipped,
>>and the first one on which I could initialize the HD) had an incipient flaw,
>>perhaps a loose connection, that the power-down/power-up cycle triggered.
>
>(Sure, it's still a flaw that should be dealt with but)
>A Reset Button:  What a concept!

Actually there is a reset button; or at least the ability to put one in.
If you open up the Wyse and look on the cpu board you will notice a pin
labeled "RESET".  Grounding that pin will do a hard reset of the
computer.  I added a pushbutton to the back of the computer and wired it
to this pin, and whenever I locked up the system (not too often) I
simply pushed the butten.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon