[comp.unix.xenix] v06i011: replacement "man" program

chip@vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) (01/27/89)

In article <47276@uunet.UU.NET> chip@vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
>Posting-number: Volume 6, Issue 11
>Submitted-by: chip@vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal)
>Archive-name: ya-man

Oooops.  I think this got messed up in the ncoast->uunet move.  I had
asked Brandon to sit on this a bit ... but it snuck out.  This program
won't handle preformatted SysV manual pages correctly.  It wants, for
example, the preformatted "ls" manual page to be in:

    /usr/man/u_man/cat1/ls.1

rather than

    /usr/man/catman/u_man/man1/ls.1

However if you are running SCO XENIX, I recommend that you take a look
at this.  It allows you to use the distributed manual pages as is, but
organize your local manual pages in a more reasonable way.

Right now the SysV compatibility fix is a couple of items down in the
to-do queue.  If there is interest in an SysV-compatible version, I'd be
glad to issue an update in the not-too-distant future.
--
Chip Rosenthal     chip@vector.UUCP    |      Choke me in the shallow water
Dallas Semiconductor   214-450-5337    |         before I get too deep.

prc@maxim.ERBE.SE (Robert Claeson) (02/05/89)

In article <696@vector.UUCP>, chip@vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) writes:

> This program won't handle preformatted SysV manual pages correctly.
> It wants, for example, the preformatted "ls" manual page to be in:
>
>     /usr/man/u_man/cat1/ls.1
>
> rather than
>
>     /usr/man/catman/u_man/man1/ls.1

On the SVR3.x systems around here, the preformatetd man pages are in
/usr/catman/?_man/man?. In the UNIX distribution, there are u_man, p_man,
a_man, and we use to add l_man. Each one of these directories contains
an arbitrary number of man?'s (man1, man2, man3 etcetc). Furthermore,
if the filename of the man page ends with ".z", the file is assumed to
be compacted using System V's "pack" command.

--
Robert Claeson, ERBE DATA AB, P.O. Box 77, S-175 22 Jarfalla, Sweden
"No problems." -- Alf