[comp.unix.xenix] tape backup devices wanted

milan@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Milan Strnad) (02/04/89)

Having just started to use a Compaq 386 with SCO Xenix, I find myself
in a state of requiring some decent backups.  My disk is 300 Meg, with
two file systems on it.  I don't want any piddly 60 Meg tape drive units.
I would like to get something on the order of 300 Meg, if not higher.
Anyone have any of these beasts? If so, which ones (and who supplies the
driver?).  Also, I'll be adding additional machines of the same
configuration and will be networking them via Ethernet.  It would be
nice to have *one* backup device to do all of the work.  Thanks.

milan@gpu

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (02/06/89)

In article <1989Feb4.153121.12346@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> milan@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Milan Strnad) writes:
>Having just started to use a Compaq 386 with SCO Xenix, I find myself
>in a state of requiring some decent backups.  My disk is 300 Meg, with
>two file systems on it.  I don't want any piddly 60 Meg tape drive units.

Everex has a 125 meg tape drive using the dc-600A tapes.  Your only
other alternative is to get a mag tape drive.

JB

--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon

itkin@mrspoc.UUCP (Steven M. List) (02/06/89)

In article <1989Feb4.153121.12346@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> milan@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Milan Strnad) writes:
> Having just started to use a Compaq 386 with SCO Xenix, I find myself
> in a state of requiring some decent backups.  My disk is 300 Meg, with
> two file systems on it.  I don't want any piddly 60 Meg tape drive units.
> I would like to get something on the order of 300 Meg, if not higher.
> Anyone have any of these beasts? If so, which ones (and who supplies the
> driver?).  Also, I'll be adding additional machines of the same
> configuration and will be networking them via Ethernet.  It would be
> nice to have *one* backup device to do all of the work.  Thanks.

Interesting timing.  The January 17, 1989 (volume 8, number 1) issue of PC
magazine has a review of the only (I think) two 2 GIGABYTE backup
devices available.  The only one that provides drivers for XENIX is the
VAST device from Emerald.  The other, POWERstreamer IV from Performance
Technology Development, only has software for DOS and PC networks.

Both devices are based on the Exabyte EXB-8200 tape drive, using 8mm
tape and helical-scan technology.  The VAST device, according to the
review, is slower due to the 8-bit SCSI controller it uses, but still
faster than most of the 1/4 inch vertical-scan technology systems
available.  Barring the VAST device, your best bet seems to be 150MB
1/4-inch devices.  There's a significant difference in cost, but look at
the differences in speed and storage capacity!  To back up several
systems on a network using 150MB tapes, figure 4 tapes and user time on
a daily basis.  With one of the helical-scan devices, on tape could last
several days and backups could be entirely automated!

I recommend reading the reviews in PC Magazine.
--
:  Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc.
:  {apple,coherent,limbo,mips,pyramid,ubvax}!mrspoc!itkin