[comp.unix.xenix] lp waits and waits and waits...

tbetz@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Betz) (02/05/89)

Finally got Xenix up and running on the 3216 (after Wyse installed a new
motherboard and daughterboard, as well as the latest rev WD controller
chip) and even VP/ix is working (after a fashion... except that it refuses
to recognize the letter 'w' typed on a terminal - anyone have any ideas
why?) ... but even though it used to work (before the original daughterboard
failed) lp now refuses to send anything to the printer!  I can cat stuff
directly to /dev/tty2a (to which lp has been directed to send stuff) but
if I pipe the same stuff to lp, lp just keeps queing requests up and
holding them.  lpstat -s returns:

scheduler is running
system default destination: laserjet
device for laserjet: /dev/tty2a

I can't figure it, I can't find anything in the docs that suggests a solution.

HELP!

Thanks.

--
"Let's not be too tough on our own ignorance.  It's the thing that makes
 America great.  If America weren't incomparably ignorant, how could we

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (02/06/89)

In article <8589@dasys1.UUCP> tbetz@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Betz) writes:
>Finally got Xenix up and running on the 3216 (after Wyse installed a new
>motherboard and daughterboard, as well as the latest rev WD controller
>chip) and even VP/ix is working (after a fashion... except that it refuses
>to recognize the letter 'w' typed on a terminal - anyone have any ideas
>why?) ... but even though it used to work (before the original daughterboard
>failed) lp now refuses to send anything to the printer!  I can cat stuff
>directly to /dev/tty2a (to which lp has been directed to send stuff) but
>if I pipe the same stuff to lp, lp just keeps queing requests up and
>holding them.

I've been bitten by this one many times. (Yes, I've unfortunately had to
reinstall my system many times after hardware failures and replacements,
and also every time I wanted to change the size of my dos-partition.)

There are problems with the lpinit (or mkdev lp) procedures if you don't
start with a "blank" system. Assuming you had a working system, made a backup,
reinstalled xenix and then restored your backup on top of it. Several
approaches seem to work:

1) make sure the device is owned by lp.

2) perform lpinit BEFORE you restore your own backup. restoring your backup
   first may confuse lpinit, because you already create some (but usually
   not all) the files it wants to create itself.

3) if you didn't perform lpinit before resotring your backup, remove the
   lpr package using "custom". then remove all files in /usr/spool/lp that
   "custom" forgot to remove:-(, then reinstall the lpr package using
   "custom", and finally try lpinit again.

An easy way to find out if your lpinit installation went allright is to
call "custom" and see what it tells you about the LPR package. If custom
tells you that LPR is only partially installed, go to step 3) of my
guidelines above.

Paul.
|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     |

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (02/06/89)

In article <8589@dasys1.UUCP> tbetz@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Betz) writes:
>Finally got Xenix up and running on the 3216 (after Wyse installed a new
	[deleted]
>failed) lp now refuses to send anything to the printer!  I can cat stuff
>directly to /dev/tty2a (to which lp has been directed to send stuff) but
>if I pipe the same stuff to lp, lp just keeps queing requests up and
>holding them.  lpstat -s returns:
>
>scheduler is running
>system default destination: laserjet
>device for laserjet: /dev/tty2a
>
>I can't figure it, I can't find anything in the docs that suggests a solution.

Check the printer spool directory.  Sometimes there is a file that
shouldn't be there.  If that doesn't work then do the following steps:

	1.	Remove all printers from the lp system.
	2.	Make sure all printer-related files are gone.
	3.	Re-install the laserjet printer on the lp system.

If the above doesn't work then do the following:

	1.	Remove the printer subsystem from Xenix.
	2.	Re-install the printer subsystem.
	3.	Re-install the laserjet.

One  of the above should do the trick.

JB

--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (02/09/89)

In article <8589@dasys1.UUCP>, tbetz@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Betz) writes:
> [..]  lpstat -s returns:
>
> scheduler is running
> system default destination: laserjet
> device for laserjet: /dev/tty2a

Try looking in the ~lp/log file and see if there are any interesting error
messages.
--
Derek Terveer 	    det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG || ..!uunet!rosevax!elric!hawkmoon!det
		    w(612)681-6986   h(612)688-0667

"A proper king is crowned" -- Thomas B. Costain