[comp.unix.xenix] Xenix dial

jct@psm.UUCP (John Tompkins) (02/09/89)

Help! I'm trying to get the dial() library function (under system
services in the Xenix manual) to work. No matter what I do, I can't
figure it out. If I dont give a specific device I get error NO_BD_A,
if I give a specific device I get error DV_NT_A. In both cases its
a dialout line at 1200 baud that works fine with cu and uucp ...
The L-devices file has a vaild entry, as I say it works with uucp.
I have the following CALL structure :

	attr = termio parameters filled in
	baud = 1200
	speed = 1200
	line = NULL or /dev/tty1A (depending on specific line or not)
	teleno = telephone number string
	modem = 0
	device = address of buffer for device dial() fills in
	dev_len = sizeof the above buffer

I don't have any extra /usr/spool/LCK* files and the /dev/tty* files
all have correct permissions.

Has anyone used dial(), do you have any examples ? Thanks.

root@mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US (Mark J. Bailey) (02/10/89)

In article <270@psm.UUCP>, jct@psm.UUCP (John Tompkins) writes:
> Help! I'm trying to get the dial() library function (under system
> services in the Xenix manual) to work. No matter what I do, I can't
> figure it out. If I dont give a specific device I get error NO_BD_A,

Sometime ago, some replacement dial routines were posted to comp.sources.unix.
I believe they are named, v06i08[6-8].  I installed them on my SCO Xenix
system and they worked beautifully!!!  There are two main parts to the
package, dialer (an executable for dialing from the shell), and a small
dial(3) library to replace the builtin dial(3) routines (by use of -ldial).
The real beauty in these routines is that it has a state transition database
that the routines access, dialinfo, in which you can program "expect-send"
sequences to talk with the modem (this would allow you to configure any
modem, even on a port multiplexer) as well as other things such as variable
time-out, time-out recovery, hanging-up the modem for a second, a goto for
looping, etc.  We used it here to talk to our QNET box which had a modem
connected on an in/out port.  When we first connect, our dialinfo state 0
(or line 0) sends CR followed by two line BREAKs and a delay, then waits
for the QNET prompt.  Upon receiving that, we transfer to another state (line#)
and begin the acquisition of the port.  I won't bore you further, ;-), but
I guess my point is is that it is a FANTASTIC package and miles above the
builtin xenix dial(3) routines.  It compiles with little or no trouble and
the packaged dialinfo already has scripts for hayes and vadic modems.

Just thought I would toss in my $0.02 worth.  Hope it might be of some
help.

Mark.

--
Mark J. Bailey                                    "Ya'll com bak naw, ya hear!"
USMAIL: 511 Memorial Blvd., Murfreesboro, TN 37129 ___________________________

hwh@cup.portal.com (Harold W Hankins) (02/12/89)

As of Development System 2.2, the dial routines are broken.  They still
expect the L-devices file format that was used under 2.1.3 runtime.
We reported this to SCO as soon as we got the upgrade to 2.2 development,
(maybe 6-8 months ago), and were told that they knew about the problem
but had no fix for us.  I guess they don't expect anyone to use the dial
library routines.

We ended up kludging our way around it by doing something like
	system("/usr/lib/uucp/dial .....");

Hank Hankins				hwh@cup.portal.com
Point of Sales Systems
Camarillo, CA