[comp.unix.xenix] Xenix to Novell - What board to use?

citron@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Mark C. Citron) (02/10/89)

We are trying to connect SCO Xenix to a Novell network
using tcp/ip. What I need to know is what board to put into
my 386 box running Xenix. The Micon gateway was recommended by
Oracle (whose database we will be using) but there seemed to
be some question as to whether this card will work with all the
niceties that go with tcp/ip such as ftp, telnet, rlogin, etc.
I assume we will be running SCO's tcp/ip but that does not have to be
the case.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
In addition, suggestions for what would be appropriate for the Novell end would
also be welcome.
Thanks
Mark Citron
citron@csvax.caltech.edu
citron@cit-vax.caltech.UUCP

chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (02/14/89)

According to citron@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Mark C. Citron):
>We are trying to connect SCO Xenix to a Novell network
>using tcp/ip. What I need to know is what board to put into
>my 386 box running Xenix.

Well, I asked a similar question some time ago.  Here is the info I
received.

[ eecea.eece.ksu.edu!terry ]
Date:  Thu, 22 Dec 88 16:19:08 cst
From: terry@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull)
To: chip@ateng.ateng.com
Subject: Re: Connecting Xenix/386 to Novelle -- can it be done?

Exelan makes a tcp/ip product for XENIX that is reported to work OK, and
Micom makes a TCP/IP gateway for Novell.  The gateway is about $3K and
has some bugs in it, but telnet, and ftp seem to work OK.  Rwho and
friends are completely broken.  Let me know if you need more
specifics.
--
Terry Hull                    Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
                                           Kansas State University
Date: 23 Dec 88 14:46:37 EST (Fri)
From: ispi!jbayer (Jonathan Bayer)

Chip,
	I don't know if it is possible, but can  a novell station also
run MS-net?  If so then your prayers are answered since Xenix-net is
compatiable with MS-net.

Jonathan Bayer
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.

---
life used to be so simple.
[ pdn!boake2!scott ]
To: chip@ateng.ateng.com
Subject: Novell Networks <-> UNIX Networks
Date: Sat Dec 24 11:52:05 1988
From: boake2!scott (Scott Boake)

Chip,

funny you should mention this.....

There are two ways to go.

1) Excelan (tough company to deal with) and run net bios.  I've never
been able to get this setup to work well.

2) I've just received an Micron-Interlan (sp) card for the Novell server
which will act as a gateway.  I've been told by several people that this
product is slick!  Not cheap though.

Scott Boake                                       Small Systems Consulting
scott@boake2                                      P.O. Box 2142
..!uunet!pdn!boake2!scott                         5030 - 78th Ave North Ste. 10
+1 (813) 544 - 8152                               Pinellas Park, FL 34664
[ tscs!pdn!uunet!jetson!john ]
To: chip@ateng.ateng.com
Date: 28 Dec 88 13:07:28 EST (Wed)
From: pdn!uunet!jetson.UPMA.MD.US!john (John Owens)

We're trying to do the same thing, and have decided to wait for SCO
NFS (1Q-2Q 89, hopefully), get PC-NFS from Sun, and use a dedicated PC
to act as a gateway, exporting each network's filesystems to the
other.  We'll have to see if it works; I wouldn't be surprised if we
could only export one side to the other, but even that would meet our
needs (we'd have a public spool directory on whichever system could be
exported to the other).

Good luck, and let me know if you get any more information.  I'll try
to remember to let your know our experiences later next year....

	-John
---
John Owens		john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US		uunet!jetson!john
+1 301 249 6000		john%jetson.uucp@uunet.uu.net
[ sco!paulz ]
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 88 03:14:51 EST
To: chip@ateng.ateng.com
From: paulz@uunet.UU.NET (Paul Zola)

I understand that Micom-INTERLAN has a TCP gateway for Novell
NetWare.  They have a toll-free number:  (800) CAN-TALK.  Of
course, you'll need to have TCP on the Xenix side as well.

I hope this is helpful.
Disclaimer: These are not official opinions of the Santa Cruz Operation
				paulz@sco.COM
  |]				{uunet|ucscc|microsoft|ucbvax}!sco!paulz
  | aul				SCO Software Support
[ attcan!lsuc!ecicrl!clewis ]
To: ateng!chip
Date: 29 Dec 88 12:47:52 EST (Thu)
From: ecicrl!clewis (Chris Lewis)

According to reasonably reliable rumor, you are *supposed* to be able to
run NOVELL client under the latest version of VP/ix by making the DOS
drivers "DDA" (direct device access).

Micom Interlan's latest stuff (TCP-gateway and TCP-workstation) looks
like it would fulfill your requirements, but it don't talk token ring
yet as far as I know.  You should ask them.

Most of the companies we know that are in token ring wish they weren't.

---
Chris Lewis, Markham, Ontario, Canada
{uunet!attcan,utgpu,yunexus,utzoo}!lsuc!ecicrl!clewis
Ferret Mailing list: ...!lsuc!gate!eci386!ferret-request
(or lsuc!gate!eci386!clewis or lsuc!clewis)
[ excelan!manoj ]
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 89 13:08:53 pst
From: manoj (manoj @ PROD MKTG)
To: chip@ateng.ateng.com
Subject: Re: Connecting Xenix/386 to Novelle

YES. our dos product can access your novell server and xenix server
simultaneously by making your xenix machine look like a remote drive
on the file system i.e. D: or E: using netbios applications.
The requirements are excelan cards and software in your xenix and dos machines.

Thus you can copy files from C: to D: or E: (xenix machine) and the xenix
process can take care of printing it..

Call 800-excelan and ask for details of the DOS LAN WORK PLACE product line.
--
Chip Salzenberg             <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering             Me?  Speak for my company?  Surely you jest!