[comp.unix.xenix] Northgate 102 keyboard

fyl@fylz.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (02/08/89)

Although this isn't exactly the right group, I feel it is about the
closest.  It is about keyboards for AT-like boxes.  DOS people wouldn't
understand so the pc group didn't seem right. I have been looking
for a keyboard that didn't feel like it had a sponge in it and also had
the <esc> key where it belongs (for us VI users at least) for quite a
while.  The only one that I found that looked reasonable was the Northgate
Omni Key/102.  In spite of the horrible reputation they seem to have for
computers, the keyboard seems to work.  Nice feel and the <esc> key next
to the 1.  The ~ key is at the right end of the space bar and the \ is
to the right of the right shift key but I can live with that.

I won't describe anymore as they have huge ads in most of the pc magazines
so suffice it to say that it seems to work on a generic 386 box (this one
is running ENIX but I tried it on our XENIX box as well.

--
Phil Hughes  -- FYL -- 8315 Lk City Wy NE -- Suite 207 -- Seattle, WA 98115

{uw-beaver!tikal,uunet!pilchuck}!ssc!fylz!fyl

rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) (02/08/89)

In article <232@fylz.UUCP> fyl@fylz.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
>while.  The only one that I found that looked reasonable was the Northgate
>Omni Key/102.  In spite of the horrible reputation they seem to have for
>computers, the keyboard seems to work.

I've had a Northgate keyboard for a year now.  I like the feel the best
of anything, even when compared against the genuine AT keyboard.  The
layout is good, too.

However, I don't think the reliability of this keyboard is all that great.
The return key has begun to 'stick'; I haven't been able to cure this,
despite several attempts.  I guess it could have been worse -- it could
have been the 'd' key!  The IBM, on the other hand, takes a pounding
without flinching.

--
Rick Richardson | JetRoff "di"-troff to LaserJet Postprocessor|uunet!pcrat!dry2
PC Research,Inc.| Mail: uunet!pcrat!jetroff; For anon uucp do:|for Dhrystone 2

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (02/10/89)

In article <669@pcrat.UUCP> rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
}
}However, I don't think the reliability of this keyboard is all that great.
}The return key has begun to 'stick'; I haven't been able to cure this,
}despite several attempts.  I guess it could have been worse -- it could
}have been the 'd' key!  The IBM, on the other hand, takes a pounding
}without flinching.

Call Northgate and request a replacement.  Their keyboards are
guaranteed for 3 years.  I don't think they would give it that kind of
guarantee  if they weren't confident that they would hold up.

--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (02/15/89)

In article <232@fylz.UUCP> fyl@fylz.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
| .........  The ~ key is at the right end of the space bar and the \ is
| to the right of the right shift key but I can live with that.

  There were three layouts of the 102. The one you describe is the
latest, and has the key above the left shift labeled "Ctrl". The
previous model has the half width backspace key and \ above the return,
like an AT keyboard, with ~ below, at the right end of the triple width
right shift key. I have two of the 2nd model, and would gladly get a few
more if I could. I have used an AT keyboard for so long that I am used
to the \ up there.

  In any case they seem a reliable keyboard. Some people have had bounce
problems. This can be cured by installing a new ROM, I'm told. My typing
is firm enough to prevent bounce, I guess, I use use a keyboard which
someone else couldn't stand and never have a bounce. I completely agree
that they are a good buy.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)