[comp.unix.xenix] TCP/IP under SCO Xenix

mikef@Portia.Stanford.EDU (Michael Fallavollita) (02/11/89)

Does anyone know of or have any basic TCP/IP utilities that will run
under SCO Xenix?  We have an IBM Model 80 and two AT's running xenix
and we have just purchased Western Digital Ethercards for all the machines.
(a /A card for the Model 80)  We'd like to connect them to each other and the
world but don't like the $600 price tag that SCO will be putting on the
TCP/IP system.  (One for each machine!!)  All we really need is telnet and
ftp.  Anything else would be a bonus.

I'd appreciate any help on this subject.

				Thanks.
				mikef@portia.stanford.edu

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (02/11/89)

In article <291@Portia.Stanford.EDU> mikef@portia.UUCP (Michael Fallavollita) writes:
>Does anyone know of or have any basic TCP/IP utilities that will run
>under SCO Xenix? ...  >We'd like to connect them to each other and the
>world but don't like the $600 price tag that SCO will be putting on the
>TCP/IP system.  (One for each machine!!)  All we really need is telnet and
>ftp.  Anything else would be a bonus.

Sounds like "cu" and "uucp" will do just what you want, and it only
costs $20 for an RS232 null modem cable.

I suppose it's arguable whether $600 is a lot or a little for TCP/IP.
It feels to me only slightly on the expensive side of reasonable,
considering what you get.  Most of the "value added" lies in the TCP/IP
implementation which has to exist regardless of what utilities (Telnet,
FTP, etc.) happen to reside on top of it.  Think of all the applications
as "free" (and they are, since they've been declared publically distributable
by UC Berkeley) and that you're paying for the integration of the protocols
(and support) into the kernel by SCO or its subcontractors.

I know that a company called "Streamlined Networks" was selling an
implementation of TCP/IP for both V.3 and SCO XENIX, and I used it last
year quite successfully under Bell Tech V.3.  I have no idea what its
status for XENIX is, now that SCO has announced their own TCP/IP product.
It might well be priced more aggressively--can't hurt to inquire.
I don't have a phone number handy, but their VP, Lance Norskog,
can be reached at ...!pacbell!belltech!lance.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (02/15/89)

In article <291@Portia.Stanford.EDU> mikef@portia.UUCP (Michael Fallavollita) writes:
| Does anyone know of or have any basic TCP/IP utilities that will run
| under SCO Xenix?  We have an IBM Model 80 and two AT's running xenix
| and we have just purchased Western Digital Ethercards for all the machines.
| (a /A card for the Model 80)  We'd like to connect them to each other and the
| world but don't like the $600 price tag that SCO will be putting on the
| TCP/IP system.

  I hate to ask, but why did you buy the cards without checking the
software you need? This is one purchase which should be software driven.
Buy what you need and get the hardware that works.

  For the record, Excelan supplies TCP for their cards with all the
usual routines and a socket library. I hope WD can help you find
software, SCO quoted me a delivery of 3Q89 yesterday. They would not
give me a price, so perhaps your guess of $600 is too high.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)