[comp.unix.xenix] Resource Wasters

barton@holston.UUCP (barton) (02/15/89)

I really am becoming annoyed by erroneous test garbage
being broadcast to the net by certain people.

As expensive as these resources are, you who are doing this
are costing the entire net community money.

If this offends you who are trying to set up your system,
I'm sorry but you really should post test articles to the
local groups only.

N O T   T O  T H E  W O R L D !!!!!!!!

Therefore, I am requesting those doing this to STOP
immediately.

Sincerely,

Barton A. Fisk                Voice: 318-439-5984
Barton A. Fisk & Co.
PO Box 1781
Lake Charles, La.  70602-1781

UUCP: { texbell, killer }!warble!holston!barton
INTERNET: barton@holston.UUCP

+++++++ "Hal, open the pod-bay doors" - Dave

jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (John F. Haugh II) (02/16/89)

In article <8@holston.UUCP> barton@holston.UUCP (barton) writes:
>I really am becoming annoyed by erroneous test garbage
>being broadcast to the net by certain people.
>
>As expensive as these resources are, you who are doing this
>are costing the entire net community money.

A typical test posting probably costs ``the net'' about $10
or so.  Not really all that much.  It is VERY wasteful when
the moron, er, luser, in question posts several messages in
rapid succession.  Also, `testing .signature' is absolutely
stupid.  Only Henry Spencer needs to test his .sig :-)

>If this offends you who are trying to set up your system,
>I'm sorry but you really should post test articles to the
>local groups only.
>
>N O T   T O  T H E  W O R L D !!!!!!!!

Or at least limit the newsgroups to misc.test or <city>.test.
I wouldn't limit the distribution to local, city or state
should suffice.

>Therefore, I am requesting those doing this to STOP
>immediately.

Don't expect anyone to listen.  However, to educate those
who might not be aware, test message reflectors do exist to
respond to test messages.  They work very nicely.  But they
can't respond to messages in non-.test newsgroups.  So, if you
WANT a reply [ and who doesn't? ], DO post to misc.test.  DO
NOT post to comp.unix.wizards.
--
John F. Haugh II                        +--Quote of the Week:------------------
VoiceNet: (214) 250-3311   Data: -6272  | "If I do not want others to quote me,