[comp.unix.xenix] Xenix device drivers and/or WSYE WY-700

shepperd@dms.UUCP (Dave Shepperd) (02/15/89)

I have this WYSE WY-700 graphics board and monitor lying around and thought
of hooking it up on a 386 system running Xenix/386 2.3.1. Then I thought it
might be neat to get MGR working on it too. Hmmm, this is gonna be a big
job.

1) Anybody have a Xenix driver for this board that I can have? (WYSE
claims there is one, but not for public consumption...IMHO it probably would
cost $100's if it were.) I'm only interested in using the board in 1280x800
monochrome mode.

2) Failing that, are there any recommended sources of information for
writing Xenix device drivers, specifically for Xenix/386 and especially
with examples...lots of examples.

3) Is using a device driver overkill for this application? Is there a way
to simply map the display memory and the 3 I/O ports to user memory?
--

Dave Shepperd.	    shepperd@dms.UUCP or weitek!dms!shepperd
Atari Games Corporation, Sycamore Drive, Milpitas CA 95035.

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (02/16/89)

In article <618@dms.UUCP> shepperd@dms.UUCP (Dave Shepperd) writes:

>I have this WYSE WY-700 graphics board and monitor lying around and thought
>of hooking it up on a 386 system running Xenix/386 2.3.1. Then I thought it

>2) Failing that, are there any recommended sources of information for
>writing Xenix device drivers, specifically for Xenix/386 and especially
>with examples...lots of examples.

	Yes, the Development System has information and examples for
writing device drivers.

JB

--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (02/17/89)

In article <465@ispi.UUCP> jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:
>>I have this WYSE WY-700 graphics board and monitor lying around and thought
>>of hooking it up on a 386 system running Xenix/386 2.3.1. Then I thought it
>	Yes, the Development System has information and examples for
>writing device drivers.

Yeah, but not console device drivers... (or tell me that I'm wrong
with the new docs--I HOPE so!)  The WY-700 is a CGA/mono board with
additional resolutions.  Ideally, you'd just like to add a few ioctls
which put the board into these new resolutions (plus ioctl (or IOPL)
access to the pokes which switch between the two 64K banks of memory
which comprise the bitmaps of the even and odd scanlines [yucch].)
There hasn't been any "clean" way to do this in the versions of XENIX
I've seen so far.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer