[comp.unix.xenix] trouble installing SCO 386

nick@aimed.UUCP (Nick Pemberton) (02/08/89)

Well, I give up. I've got a brand spankin' new 386 machine sitting
here, with 4 Meg of memory, a 20Mhz chip, and a PRIAM 250Mb ESDI
drive. I'm tying to install SCO XENIX version 2.3, and I'm getting
*very frustrated*. Here's the problem:

The Installation seems to be going just fine until it comes time to
boot up off the hard disk. Some details: I use the whole disk, (1224
cylinders, as specified by priam), I ran a thorough destructive scan,
as requested by SCO, I have entered the defect map printed on the
disk drive. Then, after the scan completes, I set up swap space (just
use default for now), set up seperate /u filesystem, since disk is
so ruddy big, and watch it merrily make the filesystem. No probs. Then
it asks for serialization, which I do, and that works fine.

Now the trouble. It says to open the floppy door and hit any key to reboot.
When I do, I get a screen as follows:

Phoenix 80386 ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 01
Copyright (C) 1985-1988 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
All rights Reserved

ELT 386

boot0: error 80

That's it. System now hung. And I want to scream. There is no PRIAM bios
interfering any more, but even when there was, the stupid thing still crashed.
DOS has no problem with the hardware, but thats hardly surprising.
There is no unusual hardware (two serial ports, one monochrome port, a
controller listed in the supported list (the dtc 6280)). I've talked to SCO
about it, and all they say is: "its probably a bad disk". (Actually they
were much more thorough then that, but that's the only possible answer
left of theirs).

So, has anyone seen this, or know of it, or Know who I should pester? Should
I through this thing off a bridge now?

Thanks in advance,

Nick
--

Nick Pemberton                   UUCP: !{utzoo,utai}!lsuc!aimed!nick
AIM, Inc                          Bus: (416) 429-4913

frankb@usource.UUCP (Frank Bicknell) (02/10/89)

In article <204@aimed.UUCP>, nick@aimed.UUCP (Nick Pemberton) writes:

> ... PRIAM 250Mb ESDI drive. I'm tying to install SCO XENIX
> version 2.3, and I'm getting *very frustrated*. Here's the
> problem:
>
> The Installation seems to be going just fine until it comes
> time to boot up off the hard disk. Some details: I use the
> whole disk, (1224 cylinders, as specified by priam), ...

Quoth Release Notes for Xenix 2.3.1, page A-14, "Some hard
disks have more than 1024 cylinders.  At this time, XENIX
supports a maximum of 1024 cylinders."

Uh--oh.

Call SCO and ask them why they didn't tell you that in the first
place (there may be a reasonable explanation, like you set it up
with 612 logical cylinders with twice the sectors per track or
some such... I've seen that, but I think the controller has to
support that somehow).
--
Frank Bicknell                                       \      Pi are round, silly!
USMAIL: 1405 Main St, Ste 709, Sarasota, FL 34236   ==------------------------\

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (02/14/89)

In article <204@aimed.UUCP> nick@aimed.UUCP (Nick Pemberton) writes:
}Well, I give up. I've got a brand spankin' new 386 machine sitting
}here, with 4 Meg of memory, a 20Mhz chip, and a PRIAM 250Mb ESDI
}drive. I'm tying to install SCO XENIX version 2.3, and I'm getting
}*very frustrated*. Here's the problem:
}...
}
}Phoenix 80386 ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 01
}Copyright (C) 1985-1988 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
}All rights Reserved
}
}ELT 386
}
}
}boot0: error 80
}
}That's it. System now hung...

I seem to recall an earlier posting suggesting that the Phoenix bios does
not support drives with more than 1024 cylinders.
Although Xenix doesn't care if you use the whole drive for xenix the
bios boot-routine may care. It may choke if it notices you are trying to
boot from a drive with more than 1024 cyls.
What drive-type did you specify? It doesn't matter to Xenix in case you
keep the whole drive for Xenix, so you may want to pretend you have a smaller
disk in the cmos-setup memory.

Paul.
|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     |

andrew@riddle.UUCP (Andrew Beattie) (02/16/89)

In article <204@aimed.UUCP> nick@aimed.UUCP (Nick Pemberton) writes:
>Well, I give up. I've got a brand spankin' new 386 machine sitting
>here, with 4 Meg of memory, a 20Mhz chip, and a PRIAM 250Mb ESDI
>drive. I'm tying to install SCO XENIX version 2.3, and I'm getting
>*very frustrated*. Here's the problem:

You need ESDI Xenix to run on an ESDI disk.

2.2.3 ESDI Xenix has been shipping for some time and should run for you.

If you need 2.3 (it is a lot better than 2.2) then you will have to wait for
the 386GT version which will support ESDI and SCSI.  This is due to ship
in the first quarter 1989

nick@aimed.UUCP (Nick Pemberton) (02/16/89)

In article <8912@alice.UUCP>, debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) writes:
> In article <204@aimed.UUCP> nick@aimed.UUCP (Nick Pemberton) writes:
[ stuff deleted - verbiage don't ya know ]

> not support drives with more than 1024 cylinders.
> Although Xenix doesn't care if you use the whole drive for xenix the
> bios boot-routine may care. It may choke if it notices you are trying to
> boot from a drive with more than 1024 cyls.
> What drive-type did you specify? It doesn't matter to Xenix in case you
> keep the whole drive for Xenix, so you may want to pretend you have a smaller
> disk in the cmos-setup memory.

I'm using drive type 10, as suggested by Priam. It doesn't seem to matter what
CMOS says, though - I've tried about 6 different types, same result.

Nick
--

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (02/18/89)

In article <987@riddle.UUCP> andrew@riddle.UUCP (Andrew Beattie) writes:

>You need ESDI Xenix to run on an ESDI disk.

	WRONG.  There are many disk controllers which support ESDI
disks, but which look like ST-506 to the O/S.  Two which come to mind are:

		WD1007		Western Digital
		ACB 2322	Adaptec

	I have a large collection of articles which describe successful
implementation of Xenix using the above cards.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon