[comp.unix.xenix] RLL Controllers

mikef@Portia.Stanford.EDU (Michael Fallavollita) (02/13/89)

Has anyone had any trouble with RLL controllers on 386 machines?
I have tried both the Adaptec 2372B and an OMTI RLL controller
and have had very weird errors.  The adaptec worked for about a week
before I got sector not found errors and finally boot errors.  When
I was installing the OMTI I got controller errors from SpeedStor when
doing a media analysis on cylinders 612-614.  Also, I was unable to
get SpeedStor to set the bad track table correctly.  It said it was
doing it but when I format, those tracks are not locked out.

Does anyone have a recommendation between the OMTI and the ADAPTE
controllers.  The OMTI I have now belongs to a friend and I'm
definately going to return the Adaptec and get either a new one or
a different controller.

Any opinions on which controller would be appreciated.

				Thanks,

				mikef@portia.stanford.edu

bill@bilver.UUCP (bill vermillion) (02/15/89)

In article <323@Portia.Stanford.EDU> mikef@portia.UUCP (Michael Fallavollita) writes:

>Has anyone had any trouble with RLL controllers on 386 machines?
>I have tried both the Adaptec 2372B and an OMTI RLL controller
>and have had very weird errors.  The adaptec worked for about a week
>before I got sector not found errors and finally boot errors.

It sounds to me like you have a DRIVE that is not approved for RLL.
Your description sounds like the typical non-RLL drive trying to be used for
RLL.  And since you didn't mention the drive make & model your problem
can't be diagnosed thoroughly.  And how about the machine it is in?

--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!rtmvax!bilver!bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (02/19/89)

As quoted from <323@Portia.Stanford.EDU> by mikef@Portia.Stanford.EDU (Michael Fallavollita):
+---------------
| Has anyone had any trouble with RLL controllers on 386 machines?

I use an Altos 500 at work; it is a 386 with an Adaptec controller.  While
we've had lots of problems with the boxes (let's put it this way:  they make
good doorstops), the hard drives aren't one of them.  Maybe it's just that
your controller doesn't like your machine?  Or you just got a dud controller?

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@ncoast.org
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu