[comp.unix.xenix] higher resolution ega/vga modes in xenix 386

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (02/17/89)

I am interested in using the 43 line mode for EGA and 50 line mode for
VGA. Currently the only way I can do this is by running an editor under
VP/ix. Before I go to a lot of work, is there a supported way to put the
screen into these modes? Does someone sell a device driver to allow it?
I don't have any intension of giving up virtual terminals, and I have a
script to convert a text file to dos format, start the editor in 50 line
mode, and convert back. The problem is that I can't open a UNIX format
file on the fly, and VP/ix is a *lot* of overhead.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

david@infopro.UUCP (David Fiedler) (02/17/89)

From article <13159@steinmetz.ge.com>, by davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr):
> I am interested in using the 43 line mode for EGA and 50 line mode for VGA.

Try:

vidi e80x43
setenv TERM ansi43

where you've added this line in /etc/termcap:

ansi43:li#43:tc=ansi:

Works fine over here, and built in to Xenix.
--
David Fiedler {ames,attmail,hoptoad,pyramid}!infopro!david
USMail: InfoPro Systems, PO Box 220, Rescue CA 95672 Phone: 916/677-5870

sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) (02/17/89)

In article <13159@steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>I am interested in using the 43 line mode for EGA and 50 line mode for
>VGA. Currently the only way I can do this is by running an editor under
>VP/ix. Before I go to a lot of work, is there a supported way to put the
>screen into these modes? Does someone sell a device driver to allow it?
>I don't have any intension of giving up virtual terminals, and I have a
>script to convert a text file to dos format, start the editor in 50 line
>mode, and convert back. The problem is that I can't open a UNIX format
>file on the fly, and VP/ix is a *lot* of overhead.

In SCO Xenix 2.3.1 see vidi(C). For example:

	vidi  e80x43

should put your EGA or VGA card into 80 columns by 43 rows mode.

You could put this in your .profile/.login. You will also want to modify
your termcap/terminfo database to add an ansi 43 line entry so that things
like vi know about it.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca {ubc-cs,uunet}!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

tbetz@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Betz) (02/22/89)

Quoth sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) in <2237@van-bc.UUCP>:
|In article <13159@steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
|>I am interested in using the 43 line mode for EGA and 50 line mode for
|>VGA. Currently the only way I can do this is by running an editor under
|>VP/ix...
|
|In SCO Xenix 2.3.1 see vidi(C). For example:
|
|	vidi  e80x43
|
|should put your EGA or VGA card into 80 columns by 43 rows mode.
|
|You could put this in your .profile/.login. You will also want to modify
|your termcap/terminfo database to add an ansi 43 line entry so that things
|like vi know about it.

Note: if you use a Wyse 450/Amdek 132 and a Wyse 550 Monochrome VGA monitor,
this is broken on SCO 386 Xenix 2.3.1.  Wyse and SCO have both been informed
of this, and are working on it.

So is setcolor(C).

--
     "Still I sing bonny boys, bonny mad boys, 	     | Tom Betz, 114 Woodworth
            Bedlam boys are bonny,		     | Yonkers, NY 10701-2509

chapman@sco.COM (Brian Chapman) (02/22/89)

In article <13159@steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>I am interested in using the 43 line mode for EGA and 50 line mode for
>VGA.
>	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

In 2.3.0 and later there is a video mode command "vidi".
The command "vidi e80x43" will give you EGA mode 43 line mode.
This mode works on the VGA also via EGA compatibility.

There is no VGA 50 line mode at this time.
--
	Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Brian Chapman		uunet!sco!chapman	SCO UNIX 3.2 Development