[comp.unix.xenix] Problems running various utilities under VP/ix

schacht@tgate.UUCP (Bryan Schacht) (02/24/89)

We have VP/ix installed on Xenix 2.3.1 on a 386 system, and we've been
running MS-Windows quite successfully.  That is, until I installed a
Logitech mouse.  I can use the mouse with other programs like project
schedulers, etc., but when I use the mouse with MS-Windows, VP/ix crashes with
the message "General fault; cannot emulate instruction".  Note that it
crashes the instant one moves the mouse in any direction.  The one unique
thing I should mention is that I have the mouse connected via a serial port
on a Corollary multi-port unit.  They claim that it should be supported, etc.

Does anyone have experience with a similar configuration actually working?
I would appreciate any tips if you do...

Other VP/ix problems:

Modems:  Trying to run the Prodigy service  under  VP/ix  seems  to
always fail the dialing sequence.  The screens, etc., work fine, but
I can't contact the service.  Do modem's really work under  VP/ix
(e.g. are they fully redirected/emulated)?

Disk drives:  I have two floppy drives in my system, (5.25 1.2mb and a 3.5
720kb drive) and I would like to access them both from VP/ix for copying
diskettes, etc.  VP/ix only seems to allow me access to one or the other, but
never both from the same VP/ix session.  I actually have to go to vpixadmin
and change the default diskette type to access the desired diskette.  Again,
anyone else have luck with this configuration?

Thanks for the help!!!

Bryan@tgate
Bryan Schacht, TransGate, Inc.
UUCP:	{felix,zardoz,irsx01}!tgate!schacht
USPS:	16800 Aston St, Irvine, CA 92714

root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) (02/25/89)

In article <17583@tgate.UUCP> schacht@tgate.UUCP (Bryan Schacht) writes:
>We have VP/ix installed on Xenix 2.3.1 on a 386 system, and we've been
>running MS-Windows quite successfully.  That is, until I installed a
>Logitech mouse.  I can use the mouse with other programs like project
>schedulers, etc., but when I use the mouse with MS-Windows, VP/ix crashes with
>the message "General fault; cannot emulate instruction".  Note that it
>crashes the instant one moves the mouse in any direction.  The one unique
>thing I should mention is that I have the mouse connected via a serial port
>on a Corollary multi-port unit.  They claim that it should be supported, etc.

The VP/ix Release and Installation Notes proclaim the following:

        Mice

        VP/ix supports the Microsoft InPort Bus Mouse, and compatible
        mice.  In order to run under VP/ix, a bus mouse must be
        compatible with the Microsoft InPort Bus Mouse, not the original
        Microsoft Bus Mouse.

        VP/ix also supports serial mice.  However, serial mice do not
        work as well with DOS applications under VP/ix as they do with
        DOS applications under native DOS.  We recommend that you use
        a Microsoft InPort compatible bus mouse with VP/ix.

Larry Dighera

--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)