[comp.unix.xenix] Xenix/386 command line editor

shepperd@dms.UUCP (Dave Shepperd) (02/25/89)

Here I go again diving into device drivers. One of my (and all the other
Xenix/Unix users here) pet peves is the lack of a "decent" command line
editor. The csh has a CLE, but its not what any of us would call decent.
(Note that my use of the term "decent" is a personal preference, not
much different than the preferences I have for certain food, music, etc.
rather than having anything to do with the technical merits or demerits
of any particular editor, so please NO FLAMES).

We have a CLE that was written a few years ago that is functionally
equivalent to VMS's 4.x and many MS-DOS CLE's that are available (left/right
arrow moves cursor, insert/overstrike editing, up/down arrow history,
and stuff like that). I want to stick it in the terminal driver and I
think the way to do it is as another "line discipline" (Xenix 2.3.1
currently has two, one for normal stuff and one, I think, for mouse
stuff). There's some description of line discipline routines in the
documentation (guide to writing device drivers), but not with near
enough detail. There's security issues with doing it this way (at
least if history is maintained), but I'd be willing to live with them.

Anybody have a source for more complete documentation and/or working
example code (even in hardcopy form) that they'd be willing to share?
--

Dave Shepperd.	    shepperd@dms.UUCP or weitek!dms!shepperd
Atari Games Corporation, Sycamore Drive, Milpitas CA 95035.

eddjp@althea.UUCP (Dewey Paciaffi) (02/28/89)

In article <622@dms.UUCP>, shepperd@dms.UUCP (Dave Shepperd) writes:

> Here I go again diving into device drivers. One of my (and all the other
> Xenix/Unix users here) pet peves is the lack of a "decent" command line
> editor. The csh has a CLE, but its not what any of us would call decent.

Try the Aspen Technolgies KSH product. We use it and it runs just dandy.
Complete with vi editor or emacs linedit functions. History goes in a
file so extends across sessions.

You can find them listed in UNIX world (usually).

              | Dewey Paciaffi  ( I got blisters on my fingers... ) |