[comp.unix.xenix] how to install Xenix plus PC DOS on IBM PC hard disk

pogoh@zgom21.dec.com (03/03/89)

I would like to have Xenix & DOS coexist on the hard disk of an IBM PC
XT compatible.  Can someone tell me in detail how to install the two
OS on the hard disk?  What must we do upon booting up for the first time
and how do we switch from DOS partition to Xenix partition & vice versa?
Can 'FDISK' on the DOS be used to create & format the partition for Xenix?

Thanks in advance.  I can be contacted at VAXMail address zgom01::pogoh
or ALL-IN-1 mail PO GOH@ZGO.

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (03/03/89)

In article <8903030223.AA18546@decwrl.dec.com> pogoh@zgom21.dec.com writes:
>I would like to have Xenix & DOS coexist on the hard disk of an IBM PC
>XT compatible.  Can someone tell me in detail how to install the two
>OS on the hard disk?  What must we do upon booting up for the first time

I did this a number of times with an ATT 6300.  The basic trick is to
follow the manual.  Do the DOS side first.  Use fdisk to set up your DOS
partition, then do Xenix.  The only real nastiness, as I remember, is
ambiguity in the instructions.  If you screw up or decide you want to
change sizes and have done at least part of the Xenix installation, use
the Xenix fdisk command to delete the Xenix partition.  Then, start over.
If you do not do this, msdos fdisk cannot change the partition size.

>and how do we switch from DOS partition to Xenix partition & vice versa?

This is explained fairly coherently in the documentation.  When running
Xenix, you have two alternatives:

(a)	as root run fdisk, make the dos partition active, haltsys,
	hit any key;

(b)	insert a bootable msdos floppy, haltsys, hit any key.

From msdos, use fdisk to make the xenix partition active, use alt-ctl-del.

>Can 'FDISK' on the DOS be used to create & format the partition for Xenix?

NO.

Recent versions of SCO Xenix allow you to haltsys, hit a key, and type
dos to reboot under MSDOS.  Since I no longer use the 8086 version and
do not have updates, I cannot tell you whether this feature has been
added.  It is in the 80286 versions.

todd@stiatl.UUCP (Todd Merriman) (03/03/89)

In article <8903030223.AA18546@decwrl.dec.com> pogoh@zgom21.dec.com writes:
>I would like to have Xenix & DOS coexist on the hard disk of an IBM PC
>XT compatible.  Can someone tell me in detail how to install the two
>OS on the hard disk?

(1) Are you sure you want Xenix on an 8088?
(2) Most manufacturers of disk controller boards supply disk preparation
    software with which you will:
    (a) low-level format the hard disk
    (b) boot, and install MSDOS
(3) Under MSDOS, high-level format the disk and create a partition
    for MSDOS and a partition for XENIX.
(4) Select XENIX as the primary partition
(5) Boot, and install XENIX

Thereafter, the loading of the boot sector, which has been provided by
XENIX in the primary partition, will allow you to select whether to
boot MSDOS or XENIX.

I can't really give more detailed instructions than this, as the
installation procedure depends primarily on your disk formatting software.
I, fortunately, had help configuring my machine from someone very
experienced in such things; and you may look for that kind of expertise
in your local user groups.

	...!gatech!stiatl!todd
	Todd Merriman 404-377-8638
	Atlanta, GA