[comp.unix.xenix] Out of Heap space error...

tony@joshua.math.ucla.edu (03/07/89)

I am very new to SCO Xenix so please forgive me for asking dumb
questions.

I am trying to make Pcomm2 which I downloaded from uunet.uu.net and
I am getting an "Out of Heap Space" error in term.h.

Has anoyone out there ported Pcomm2 to SCO Xenix??
How does one go about increasing the heap space in the SCO compiler?

Thanks in advance.

Tony
tony@math.ucla.edu

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (03/07/89)

In article <570@sunset.MATH.UCLA.EDU> tony@MATH.UCLA.EDU () writes:
>I am trying to make Pcomm2 which I downloaded from uunet.uu.net and
>I am getting an "Out of Heap Space" error in term.h.

Try -LARGE compile option. It invokes large-model compiler. Note that
this "large-model" does not influence the code the compiler generates.
It only means that this compiler itself was generated using the large
model, so it won't run out of heap space.

Paul.
|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     |

mdc@spt.entity.com (Marty Connor) (03/08/89)

In article <570@sunset.MATH.UCLA.EDU> tony@MATH.UCLA.EDU () writes:
>I am very new to SCO Xenix so please forgive me for asking dumb
>questions.

Done.

>I am trying to make Pcomm2 which I downloaded from uunet.uu.net and
>I am getting an "Out of Heap Space" error in term.h.

try:  cc -LARGE ....

The -LARGE keyword will allow you to compile bigger source files on a
286 by using compiler passes compiled in 'large model'.

--
----------------
Marty Connor

evh@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Troy Saville) (03/08/89)

In article <570@sunset.MATH.UCLA.EDU> tony@MATH.UCLA.EDU () writes:
>I am very new to SCO Xenix so please forgive me for asking dumb
>questions.
>
>>I am trying to make Pcomm2 which I downloaded from uunet.uu.net and
>>I am getting an "Out of Heap Space" error in term.h.

I recall getting a similar error when trying to port a program to
xenix. I used the Large model and still got the error. So i just
increased the stack size a lot(-F SIZE option). This was
xenix 2.2.1 running on an ncr916(386). Does anyone know if they
ever got the bugs out of the ncr916 hardware???
Internal hardware fault.

rac@sherpa.UUCP (Roger A. Cornelius) (03/09/89)

From article <9016@alice.UUCP>, by debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra):
> In article <570@sunset.MATH.UCLA.EDU> tony@MATH.UCLA.EDU () writes:
>
> Try -LARGE compile option. It invokes large-model compiler. Note that
> this "large-model" does not influence the code the compiler generates.
> It only means that this compiler itself was generated using the large
> model, so it won't run out of heap space.

I've found recently that using the -LARGE option also eliminates
the "function ??? too large for post optimizer" warning I sometimes
get, so indirectly, the -LARGE option could affect the code generated
in this case.  I only noticed this about a week ago, so I don't know
if -LARGE will fix the "function too large" message in all cases.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Roger
--
Roger Cornelius       rac@sherpa
                      uunet!sherpa!rac

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (03/09/89)

In article <15@sherpa.UUCP> rac@sherpa.UUCP (Roger A. Cornelius) writes:
}...
}I've found recently that using the -LARGE option also eliminates
}the "function ??? too large for post optimizer" warning I sometimes
}get, so indirectly, the -LARGE option could affect the code generated
}in this case.  I only noticed this about a week ago, so I don't know
}if -LARGE will fix the "function too large" message in all cases.

True. The -LARGE option activates large-model programs for several
compiler-passes.
The "function too large for post optimizer" has always gone away with
the -LARGE option for me. But then again, maybe some people write even
larger functions than I do...

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (03/10/89)

In article <15@sherpa.UUCP> rac@sherpa.UUCP (Roger A. Cornelius) writes:
>From article <9016@alice.UUCP>, by debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra):
>> In article <570@sunset.MATH.UCLA.EDU> tony@MATH.UCLA.EDU () writes:

[question on post optimizer.]

>Has anyone else noticed this?

I have programs with very large switch statements that the optimizer
cannot hack whether the -LARGE passes are used or not.

The -LARGE passes are slooooooowwwwww, if you haven't noticed.