----------------
  From: nc386!uucp
  To: ncoast!daemon
  Date: Sun Mar 12 02:10:12 1989

  remote execution	[uucp job ncoastXHeX0 (3/12-2:10:11)]
  	rmail rhg
  exited with status 2
---------------
This type of mail is sent to ANYONE off of nc386 who sends mail to
nc386!username.  I assume it is a reply or some audit function of smail
since it does not happen with the 'standard' mailers.

nc386 is running SCO Xenix on a 386 20MZ Mylex Board.  Help or suggestions
would be appreciated as my neighbors are losing their patience.  I do not
have strong abilities in programming.  Thank you in advance!

Rich

Richard H. Garrett                                              rhg@ncoast.org
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!rhg		                ncoast!rhg@hal.cwru.edu
NCoast Public Access UN*X - (216) 781-6201, 300/1200/2400 baud, login: makeuser

chip@vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) (03/13/89)

In article <1406@nc386.UUCP> rhg@nc386.UUCP (Rich Garrett) writes:
[describes exit code 2 diagnostic when smail runs]

My guess is that you are running an old version of 2.2 development system.
There is a bug such that "return()" from main() was not the same as
"exit()".  Guess which one smail uses??

Two possible solutions:  (1) change the "return" to an "exit" in smail,
(2) contact sco for the development system maintenance disk "UFC1".
(Sorry, I don't have the official name...just the label on the floppy.)
--
Chip Rosenthal     chip@vector.UUCP    |      Choke me in the shallow water
Dallas Semiconductor   214-450-5337    |         before I get too deep.

ag@cbmvax.UUCP (Keith Gabryelski) (03/14/89)

In article <1406@nc386.UUCP> rhg@nc386.UUCP (Rich Garrett) writes:
>After many, many attempts to get this problem resolved, I am asking those
>in this group if anyone has experienced a simular problem:
>----------------
>  From: nc386!uucp
>  To: ncoast!daemon
>  Date: Sun Mar 12 02:10:12 1989
>
>  remote execution	[uucp job ncoastXHeX0 (3/12-2:10:11)]
>  	rmail rhg
>  exited with status 2
>---------------
>This type of mail is sent to ANYONE off of nc386 who sends mail to
>nc386!username.  I assume it is a reply or some audit function of smail
>since it does not happen with the 'standard' mailers.
>
>nc386 is running SCO Xenix on a 386 20MZ Mylex Board.  Help or suggestions
>would be appreciated as my neighbors are losing their patience.  I do not
>have strong abilities in programming.  Thank you in advance!

nc386 is running a version of smail that was compiled on a 2.2 Dev Sys.

The problem is in main().  smail does a `return 0' instead of an
`exit(0)'.  Change that line and re-make.  You should be fine.

That bug is said to have been fixed in the 2.3 Dev Sys release
although I haven't tested it.

Pax, Keith
--
Keith Gabryelski                                   ag@cbmvax.commodore.com