[comp.unix.xenix] Trouble with modem control

Zap@cup.portal.com (Tim Philip Cadell) (03/11/89)

I have a problem with my modem: I have been using it with "enable tty1a"
which, as I found out recently, doesn't have modem control and the
system doesn't automatically logout if I get disconnected.  Well, in order
to use "ungetty" (I'm starting to use usenet now and need to dial out on
that port) I have to have the enable/disable attached to port tty1A.
My problem is this: anytime the modem receives a ring, it displays a
system message like this "garbage or loose connection on serial port 0;
disabling port" or something like that and then it apparently ungettys
the port.  My dialout is working fine but now I can't call INTO the system!

Any suggestions?

Zap Savage (aka Tim Cadell)

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (03/14/89)

In article <15656@cup.portal.com> Zap@cup.portal.com (Tim Philip Cadell) writes:
}I have a problem with my modem: I have been using it with "enable tty1a"
}which, as I found out recently, doesn't have modem control and the
}system doesn't automatically logout if I get disconnected.  Well, in order
}to use "ungetty" (I'm starting to use usenet now and need to dial out on
}that port) I have to have the enable/disable attached to port tty1A.
}My problem is this: anytime the modem receives a ring, it displays a
}system message like this "garbage or loose connection on serial port 0;
}disabling port" or something like that and then it apparently ungettys

It depends what kind of modem you are using.  Assuming a 2400 Hayes
compatible, the command:

	ATQ1

will tell the modem to not transmit any messages, and will keep the OS
from getting confused.  There are other causes of this problem, but try
this first.  It is the simplest.

JB

--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon

tif@cpe.UUCP (03/14/89)

Written  8:31 pm  Mar 10, 1989 by cup.portal.com!Zap in cpe:comp.unix.xenix
>My problem is this: anytime the modem receives a ring, it displays a
>system message like this "garbage or loose connection on serial port 0;
>disabling port" or something like that and then it apparently ungettys
>the port.  My dialout is working fine but now I can't call INTO the system!

If you are using a modem-card:
My experience is that the UART is generating an interrupt on Ring Detect.
The fix was to lift the UART pin corresponding to RI (I think we grounded
it).

			Paul Chamberlain
			Computer Product Engineering, Tandy Corp.
			{killer | texbell}!cpe!tif