[comp.unix.xenix] Stand alone Xenix/386 boxes Question

schou@faline.bellcore.com (Scott Chou) (03/17/89)

Can 386 boxes run SCO Xenix without a keyboard and console monitor?
In other words I'd like to set up a small LAN of 386 boxes on an
Ethernet and communicate with them only through remote logins.

Do I save anything this way besides not having to buy the hardware?
In other words does the OS save cycles not having to poll the keyboard,
refresh the displays, etc. or is all that activity inherent whether
the I/O hardware is there to receive the data or not?

Thanks,
--
     *Scott Chou				Disclaimer:  Bellcore
    * 445 South Street MRE 2L-270		washes its hands of

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (03/17/89)

In article <2208@faline.bellcore.com> schou@faline.UUCP (Scott Chou) writes:
>Can 386 boxes run SCO Xenix without a keyboard and console monitor?
>In other words I'd like to set up a small LAN of 386 boxes on an
>Ethernet and communicate with them only through remote logins.

I'm afraid this is going to be a bit of a problem with most AT-clone 386
boxes:
1) If you don't have a keyboard the bios gives an error, but some can
get past this.
2) If you don't have a display adapter the bios gives an error and asks
to "hit F1 to continue". Of course, if you don't have a keyboard you can't
hit F1...

Paul.

|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     |

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (03/18/89)

In article <2208@faline.bellcore.com> schou@faline.UUCP (Scott Chou) writes:
>Can 386 boxes run SCO Xenix without a keyboard and console monitor?
>In other words I'd like to set up a small LAN of 386 boxes on an
>Ethernet and communicate with them only through remote logins.

     I don't know about Etnernet.  But you have another problem, not
Xenix related.  As far as I know, most BIOS's do a hardware check upon
power up.  If it detects a problem, they will hang until the F1 key
(usually) is pressed, or just hang until reset.  The hardware will need
the monitor card and the keyboard to be physically present, but Xenix
can be set up to use a serial console.

JB

--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon

nvk@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Norman Kohn) (03/19/89)

In article <9065@alice.UUCP> debra@alice.UUCP () writes:
>In article <2208@faline.bellcore.com> schou@faline.UUCP (Scott Chou) writes:
>>Can 386 boxes run SCO Xenix without a keyboard and console monitor?
>>In other words I'd like to set up a small LAN of 386 boxes on an
>>Ethernet and communicate with them only through remote logins.
>>

>I'm afraid this is going to be a bit of a problem with most AT-clone 386
>boxes:
I've done this with uport 286, and believe that it would work with 386 as
well.  Kernel errors log to the console, however, and if you ever need
to patch the OS off a boot disk, etc., you'll need kbd and monitor.

--
Norman Kohn   		| ...ddsw1!nvk!norman
Chicago, Il.		| days/ans svc: (312) 650-6840