[comp.unix.xenix] Problems with HDB and XENIX V/386 2.3.1

itkin@mrspoc.UUCP (Steven M. List) (03/08/89)

This Permissions file is making me nuts.  Is there a bug in the SCO version
of HDB UUCP or am I failing to understand something?  I have two machines
that are tied together with two direct RS232 lines (guinan and mrspoc).
One is a 386 running XENIX (guinan) and the other is a Plexus P/60 running
System V (sort of).  I can happily transfer files between the machines
as long as:

1. Requests initiated on mrspoc only specify ~ as their destination on
   guinan

2. The request originates on guinan and the USERFILE on mrspoc is set up
   to allow access to the appropriate files and directories.

The following is my Permissions file.  Any help?  Please?

#	@(#) Permissions 1.1 88/07/02
#
#	Copyright (C) The Santa Cruz Operation, 1988.
#	This Module contains Proprietary Information of
#	The Santa Cruz Operation, Microsoft Corporation
#	and AT&T, and should be treated as Confidential.
#
LOGNAME=uucp \
MACHINE=mrspoc:worf:yar \
	COMMANDS=ALL \
	READ=/:/usr/local/lib:~ \
	WRITE=/:/usr/local/lib:~ \
	SENDFILES=yes REQUEST=yes
--
:  Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~
:  Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California

jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) (03/13/89)

In article <5776@mrspoc.UUCP> itkin@mrspoc.UUCP (Steven List) writes:
>This Permissions file is making me nuts.
>LOGNAME=uucp \
>MACHINE=mrspoc:worf:yar \
>	COMMANDS=ALL \
>	READ=/:/usr/local/lib:~ \
>	WRITE=/:/usr/local/lib:~ \
>	SENDFILES=yes REQUEST=yes

On a uucp command line, the tilde is normally understood to expand to
/usr/spool/uucppublic.
But: nothing in my documentation regarding the Permissions file indicates
that the tilde (~) will be properly interpreted therein.
In Permissions, I think you have to spell out the directories quite
literally.
But why include the PUBDIR in the READ or WRITE list if you list the root
directory first off?
--
Jean-Pierre Radley		Honi soit		jpr@dasys1.UUCP
New York, New York		qui mal			...!hombre!jpradley!jpr

wisner@shadooby.cc.umich.edu (Bill Wisner) (03/13/89)

Er, right.

A single tilde in the Permissions file is always expanded to PUBDIR.

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (03/20/89)

In article <5776@mrspoc.UUCP>, itkin@mrspoc.UUCP (Steven M. List) writes:
> LOGNAME=uucp \
> MACHINE=mrspoc:worf:yar \
> 	COMMANDS=ALL \
> 	READ=/:/usr/local/lib:~ \
> 	WRITE=/:/usr/local/lib:~ \
> 	SENDFILES=yes REQUEST=yes

You realize, of course, that you are giving everyone in the known universe
(that can get to your machine) read and write access to all directories that
are readable/writable to "others"?  This is what the READ=/ and WRITE=/ does.

I believe that you *must* specify FULL path names in the READ and WRITE lists.

derek
--
Derek Terveer 	    det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG || ..!uunet!rosevax!elric!hawkmoon!det
		    w(612)681-6986   h(612)688-0667

"A proper king is crowned" -- Thomas B. Costain