[comp.unix.xenix] Need tape drive info

gary@fryepro.UUCP (Gary L. Scorby) (03/21/89)

We have a Bell Technologies 60MB XTC tape backup unit, connected
to our AT clone  which has SCO Xenix for an operating system.
The tape drive has proven to be both fast and reliable, and has been
in use for about a year.

Is there any software available for using this drive on a DOS
system? We have a couple of XT's that require periodic backups.

We tried a version sold by Bell Tech. but never could get it to
communicate with the drive. When called for support, Bell Tech.
told us that it was an old unsupported version that they had never
updated. They allowed us to send it back for a full refund.

Bell Tech. has been very helpfull, but we still don't have any
software for DOS. If anyone has suggestions we would like to hear
about them.

Michael Lang --   ...tektronix!percival!fryepro!mikel

jim@belltec.UUCP (Mr. Jim's Own Logon) (03/23/89)

In article <180@fryepro.UUCP>, gary@fryepro.UUCP (Gary L. Scorby) writes:
> We have a Bell Technologies 60MB XTC tape backup unit, connected
> to our AT clone  which has SCO Xenix for an operating system.
> The tape drive has proven to be both fast and reliable, and has been
> in use for about a year.
>

> We tried a version sold by Bell Tech. but never could get it to
> communicate with the drive. When called for support, Bell Tech.
> told us that it was an old unsupported version that they had never
> updated. They allowed us to send it back for a full refund.
>
> Bell Tech. has been very helpfull, but we still don't have any
> software for DOS. If anyone has suggestions we would like to hear
> about them.

    The truth is out. Bell Tech does not support DOS. I knew it was too
good a story to remain secret. The only DOS tape software that we had any
right to resell is a multi year old package that falls short in many ways.
We usually recommend  SYTOS  from Sytron Corp, for DOS use of tape drives.
No affiliation with the company, just a good package and well documented.

Thanks for the good words about the drive under UNIX/XENIX; I guess that
DOS support will have to be left to DOS oriented companies (thank God).

Sytron Corp.,  117 Flanders Rd.,  Westboro MA. 01581-1030
(sorry no phone number handy)

							Jim Wall
							Bell Technologies, Inc

nasa@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Daniel Poirot) (03/24/89)

In article <352@belltec.UUCP> jim@belltec.UUCP (Mr. Jim's Own Logon) writes:
>In article <180@fryepro.UUCP>, gary@fryepro.UUCP (Gary L. Scorby) writes:

>> We have a Bell Technologies 60MB XTC tape backup unit ...
>>
>> ... we still don't have any software for DOS.

>    The truth is out. Bell Tech does not support DOS.
>
>							Jim Wall
>							Bell Technologies, Inc

Does anyone have any info on talking to the controller?  (QIC-36?)
Does anyone have a utility to read/write tar tapes under DOS?

I can read and write a UNIX tar tape using several different UNIX systems
including my Bell Tech system under UNIX SYS V/386, but I haven't seen
anything that does the same for DOS.

Daniel Poirot		nasa@killer.dallas.tx.us
Lockheed B16
2400 Nasa Rd. 1
Houston, TX 77536	"A mind is a terrible thing."