[comp.unix.xenix] TC/IP for SCO Xenix 386

noel@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (Noel Del More) (03/13/89)

Does anyone know of a public domain tc/ip which supports the 3COM
ethernet board and which can be compiled and run under SCO Xenix 386?

I have a couple of 3COM ethernet boards gathering dust here and I would
like to put them to good use.

On a different subject,  I recently developed two problems with SCO Xenix
386 2.3.1.  I recently started experiancing difficulty in getting the lp
command to work properly, ie.

		lp filename

results in an error peing printed on the printer to the effect that it
couldn't access the file.  It always worked until just recently, SCO
hasn't a clue last I checked although they admitted that it had been
reported by others.

And finally, again recently, when trying to edit a very large file, which
I had always been able to edit previously, and to which no changes had
been made, vi reports the following error:

	Tmp file to large

Information, answers, fixes etc. are most appreciated!

Thanks!

Noel
--
Noel B. Del More             |              {decvax|harvard}!zinn!ubbs-nh!noel
17 Meredith Drive            |                             noel@ubbs-nh.mv.com

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (03/13/89)

In article <269@ubbs-nh.MV.COM> noel@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (Noel Del More) writes:
>Does anyone know of a public domain tc/ip which supports the 3COM
>ethernet board and which can be compiled and run under SCO Xenix 386?
>I have a couple of 3COM ethernet boards gathering dust here and I would
>like to put them to good use.

Non-public-domain TCP/IP software for XENIX 386 can be purchased from
both SCO and Streamlined Networks.  SCO supports the 3COM 3C501 card and the
WD8003E (Etherlink Plus); I don't have the SN support at hand, but
I would guess they would support these cards (as well as the Bell Tech
card, which may just be a repackaged WD8003E.)

I have used both packages now, SN/IP under Bell Tech UNIX V and
SCO TCP/IP under XENIX 386.  They both work and are worth the
money.  I'll have more to say about SCO TCP/IP once I've had more
time to stress it.

Phil Karn's KA9Q TCP/IP program is available for non-commercial
use and supports DOS out-of-the-box.  I've played with an early
version under XENIX using SLIP over serial lines--it runs as a user
process under UNIX or XENIX.  It's conceivable you could hack in
ethernet support iff you had a XENIX device driver which gave access
to the raw ethernet frames, but the support isn't there otherwise
under UNIX.  KA9Q has support for ethernet under DOS.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (03/14/89)

In article <269@ubbs-nh.MV.COM> noel@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (Noel Del More) writes:

| On a different subject,  I recently developed two problems with SCO Xenix
| 386 2.3.1.  I recently started experiancing difficulty in getting the lp
| command to work properly, ie.
|
| 		lp filename
|
| results in an error peing printed on the printer to the effect that it
| couldn't access the file.  It always worked until just recently, SCO
| hasn't a clue last I checked although they admitted that it had been
| reported by others.

  I've seen that on the terminal... it's legit, since lp runs setuid lp
it may not be able to access all of you files. Try lp <filename and see
if that works.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

raj@spl1.UUCP (Robert Alan Johnson) (03/24/89)

From article <13355@steinmetz.ge.com>, by davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr):
> In article <269@ubbs-nh.MV.COM> noel@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (Noel Del More) writes:
>
> | On a different subject,  I recently developed two problems with SCO Xenix
> | 386 2.3.1.  I recently started experiancing difficulty in getting the lp
> | command to work properly, ie.
> |
> | 		lp filename
> |
> | results in an error peing printed on the printer to the effect that it

I've found that you can also use

		cat filename | lp

To get around this problem.  Ugly but it works.  You can always set
up an alias like :

		alias lp "cat $* | lp"

--
Robert A. Johnson, SysAdmin  {elroy,lll-winken,hombre,irs3,laidbak}!spl1!raj
The Software Public Library  VOICE: 1 312 248 5777