[comp.unix.xenix] UUCP - UUX

raulin@tdl.UUCP (Raulin Olivera) (03/24/89)

I have 2 Compaq 286's running SCO Xenix.  One has a tape drive connected
and the other does not.  I am trying to do backups on the system without
the tape drive by creating cpio files (find . -print | cpio -oBv > cpio.file)
and uucp'ing the file to the system with the tape.  The problem arises in
that the system with tape has limited disk storage on the root file system
and the cpio.files are too large to fit.  I have a 2nd file system, /u, that
has enough space but I cannot get uucp to transfer the file directly to
that file system without going through the spool directory on the root
file system.  I thought that I could circumvent this problem by doing
it with uux.  Something like (from the taped system) uux "!echo
sys1\!/u/tmp/cpio.file | cpio -oBv > /dev/tapedrive".  I am not sure of
my syntax because I don't have a manual available at the moment but
the systax I tried was correct.  This blew-up because again the cpio.file
was copied to the spool directory of the taped system  before the cpio
could start.

My question is, does anyone know of a way that I can either do my uucp
and avoid the root file system or a uux command that might write directly
to tape without creating a file on the taped system?

			=Ralo->

			Raulin Olivera

In article <103@tdl.UUCP> raulin@tdl.UUCP (Raulin Olivera) writes:

>... I am trying to do backups on the system without
>the tape drive by creating cpio files (find . -print | cpio -oBv > cpio.file)
>and uucp'ing the file to the system with the tape.  The problem arises in
>that the system with tape has limited disk storage on the root file system
>and the cpio.files are too large to fit.  I have a 2nd file system, /u, that
>has enough space but I cannot get uucp to transfer the file directly to
>that file system without going through the spool directory on the root
>file system.

If you don't mind disrupting other operation you might mount your other
partition wherever uucp is putting the tmp file.  Otherwise if you
have kermit you can tell it where to put the files or even pipe
directly through it.  I once copied an entire machine using
cpio |kermit ----- kermit |cpio  (only once because it took most
of a weekend but it did beat handling diskettes).

Les Mikesell