[comp.unix.xenix] Need help installing 2nd HD

Chip_N_Oliver@cup.portal.com (03/21/89)

Situation:  I have stumbled upon an AT clone running Xenix V2.2.  The
system is from a sub-contractor who, for unknown reasons, provided
two identical hard disks, but a cable scenario which only allows
one hd on line at any given time.  I changed the cabling and put both
disks on the controller.  I ran the diagnostic diskette for the clone
and modified the non-volatile RAM which describes the disk configuration
to "enable" the second drive.  I then ran dparam and set /dev/hd10
identical to /dev/hd00 (or was it /dev/rhd00 and /dev/rhd10).

I thought I was home free when badtrk ran a successful non-destructive
scan of the second disk.  However, when I try to mount or fsck the second
hd, I get the following:

# mount /dev/hd10 /u

  mount: mount failed
  mount: structure needs cleaning

# fsck /dev/hd10

  CLEANING NON SYSTEM 3 FILE SYSTEM
  size check:  fsize:0  isize: 0

I should state that both disks boot just fine as the first disk on the
controller.  It's just that I can't get a second disk mounted.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

-> Chip Oliver
-> coliver@cup.portal.com
-> sun!portal!cup.portal.com!coliver

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (03/22/89)

In article <16070@cup.portal.com> Chip_N_Oliver@cup.portal.com writes:
>Situation:  I have stumbled upon an AT clone running Xenix V2.2.  The
	[deleted]
>to "enable" the second drive.  I then ran dparam and set /dev/hd10
>identical to /dev/hd00 (or was it /dev/rhd00 and /dev/rhd10).
>
>I thought I was home free when badtrk ran a successful non-destructive
>scan of the second disk.  However, when I try to mount or fsck the second
>hd, I get the following:
>
># mount /dev/hd10 /u
	^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

if you are going to do it this way you will want to use /dev/hd1?  where
the ? is the partition number you want to mount.  hd10 refers to the
entire hard disk.

>  mount: mount failed
>  mount: structure needs cleaning

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon

jack@turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (03/24/89)

In article <558@ispi.UUCP> jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:
>In article <16070@cup.portal.com> Chip_N_Oliver@cup.portal.com writes:
>>Situation:  I have stumbled upon an AT clone running Xenix V2.2.  The
>	[deleted]
>>to "enable" the second drive.  I then ran dparam and set /dev/hd10
>>identical to /dev/hd00 (or was it /dev/rhd00 and /dev/rhd10).

>>I thought I was home free when badtrk ran a successful non-destructive
>>scan of the second disk.  However, when I try to mount or fsck the second
>>hd, I get the following:

>># mount /dev/hd10 /u
 	^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>if you are going to do it this way you will want to use /dev/hd1?  where
>the ? is the partition number you want to mount.  hd10 refers to the
>entire hard disk.

Jonathan is correct about the above, but since Chip indicated that he could
use this second drive to boot from and that it was just a copy of the first
drive I suspect what he really should be doing is reinitializing the drive
as just new filesystems. As it is it has a boot and root on it which are
not terribly useful. What you (Chip) really should do is run mkdev hd and
set up new partitions and filesystems. Mkdev will do all the right things
for you like make reasonable devs to mount, like /dev/user instead of
fooling around with /dev/hdxx. After that all you will need to do is to
make up the new mount points you want and update /etc/default/filesys
to control whether you want the new filesystems mounted automatically when
going multiuser, etc.

--
Jack F. Vogel
Turnkey Computer Consultants, Westchester,CA

stacy@mcl.UUCP (Stacy L. Millions) (03/26/89)

In article <6339@turnkey.TCC.COM>, jack@turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) writes:
> In article <558@ispi.UUCP> jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:
> >In article <16070@cup.portal.com> Chip_N_Oliver@cup.portal.com writes:
> >># mount /dev/hd10 /u
>  	^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >if you are going to do it this way you will want to use /dev/hd1?  where
> >the ? is the partition number you want to mount.  hd10 refers to the
> >entire hard disk.
>
> Jonathan is correct about the above, but since Chip indicated that he could
> use this second drive to boot from and that it was just a copy of the first
> drive I suspect what he really should be doing is reinitializing the drive
> as just new filesystems. As it is it has a boot and root on it which are
> not terribly useful. What you (Chip) really should do is run mkdev hd and
> set up new partitions and filesystems. Mkdev will do all the right things
> for you like make reasonable devs to mount, like /dev/user instead of
> fooling around with /dev/hdxx. After that all you will need to do is to
> make up the new mount points you want and update /etc/default/filesys
> to control whether you want the new filesystems mounted automatically when
> going multiuser, etc.

Right, but if you want to salvage any usefull information that might
already be residing on the drive, you will have to create some new
devices for root and u (if you had one) filesystems on the second drive

mknod /dev/hd1root b ? 104	( don't remember what sco uses for major #)
mknod /dev/hd1u b    ? 106	( for the hard disk, I think 0 )

then
mount /dev/hd1root /mnt
mount /dev/hd1u    /mnt/u

Then you can back up or copy over any useful data you want before
doing what Jack suggests and remaking your file systems.

I would also suggest you find the person who initially put the system
together (two boot drives that you have to switch cables around to
go from one to the other!) and giv him a good swift kick in the left
shin :-)

-stacy

--

"You should not drink and bake."