[comp.unix.xenix] UUCP performance

daveh@marob.MASA.COM (Dave Hammond) (03/28/89)

The following excerpts from the /usr/spool/uucp/.Admin/xferstats file
indicate that (for this particular session) the actual file transfer rate
over a 2400 baud line was around 75 cps (well under a reasonable *1200*
baud transfer rate):

M (3/27-11:11:15) (C,28337,3) [tty1A] <- 100000 / 1327.400 secs, 75 bytes/sec
{...}
M (3/27-12:56:12) (C,28337,15) [tty1A] <- 100000 / 1287.300 secs, 77 bytes/sec
{...}
M (3/27-13:40:54) (C,28337,20) [tty1A] <- 100000 / 1304.650 secs, 76 bytes/sec

On average, our transfers are much smaller (most under 10K), and the
actual rate (for 2400 baud lines) floats around 100 chars per second (which
still stinks).

What, if any, tuning can be done to increase our uucp performance?

--
Dave Hammond
daveh@marob.masa.com

manes@marob.MASA.COM (Steve Manes) (03/28/89)

From article <601@marob.MASA.COM>, by daveh@marob.MASA.COM (Dave Hammond):
> The following excerpts from the /usr/spool/uucp/.Admin/xferstats file
> indicate that (for this particular session) the actual file transfer rate
> over a 2400 baud line was around 75 cps (well under a reasonable *1200*
> baud transfer rate):

I heard an unconfirmed story that Xenix 2.3's UUCP transfer time
accounting is broken and shouldn't be trusted.  According to a friend of
mine, he spent several hours sending files from his machine to a Xenix
machine in Texas and the difference in transfer time, according to the
logs of the two respective machines, was almost a factor of 2.  He says
he believes that it's a bug in the reading of the HZ variable.
--
Steve Manes            Roxy Recorders, Inc.             Magpie-HQ BBS
UUCP : {rutgers|cmcl2}!hombre!magpie!manes              (212)420-0527

frank@rsoft.UUCP (Frank I. Reiter) (03/29/89)

In article <603@marob.MASA.COM> manes@marob.MASA.COM (Steve Manes) writes:

>I heard an unconfirmed story that Xenix 2.3's UUCP transfer time
>accounting is broken and shouldn't be trusted.

You can "Trust" it to be out by a factor of exactly 2.5.  If it says that you
achieved 200 cps then you know that you achieved 500 cps.

I'm told they used a HZ value of 20 instead of 50.

Frank I. Reiter              UUCP:  {uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!rsoft!frank
Reiter Software Inc.                frank@rsoft.bc.ca,  a2@mindlink.UUCP
Langley, British Columbia     BBS:  Mind Link @ (604)533-2312, login as Guest

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (Wm. E. Davidsen Jr) (03/29/89)

In article <601@marob.MASA.COM> daveh@marob.masa.com (Dave Hammond) writes:

| What, if any, tuning can be done to increase our uucp performance?

  I had the same problem. I set windows to 7. The problem went away. You
will have to ask someone for a patch for v < 2.3.1, I have installed it
but lost the doc. 2.3.1 has the info in the manual somewhere. You diddle
something with adb from 3 to 7.

  Now MY question: why in hell doesn't SCO shep uucico set to w=7 by
default? Is there a prize for bad performance.

  I see over 200cps on a 2400 baud line, about 600 on 9600 (but the
other machine is an overloaded pig).
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@crd.GE.COM)

kory@avatar.UUCP (Kory Hamzeh) (03/29/89)

In article <603@marob.MASA.COM>, manes@marob.MASA.COM (Steve Manes) writes:
> From article <601@marob.MASA.COM>, by daveh@marob.MASA.COM (Dave Hammond):
> > The following excerpts from the /usr/spool/uucp/.Admin/xferstats file
> > indicate that (for this particular session) the actual file transfer rate
> > over a 2400 baud line was around 75 cps (well under a reasonable *1200*
> > baud transfer rate):
>
> I heard an unconfirmed story that Xenix 2.3's UUCP transfer time
> accounting is broken and shouldn't be trusted.  According to a friend of
> mine, he spent several hours sending files from his machine to a Xenix
> machine in Texas and the difference in transfer time, according to the
> logs of the two respective machines, was almost a factor of 2.  He says
> he believes that it's a bug in the reading of the HZ variable.

Yes, there is a bug in Xenix 2.3.1 HDB uucico. It reports the wrong
transfer rate. Its because for some stupid reason, it hardcoded for a
HZ=20 machine (an XT!!!). 286 and 386 have HZ set to 50. Here is a patch
you can make to fix this problem:

Run "adb -w" on uucico (in /usr/lib/uucp, you will need to be root)
Here is a script:
----- start of patch ----
$ adb -w uucico
* $x
* millitick+32?ia
_millitick+0x32:		mov	ax,0x14
_millitick+0x35:
* .?x
_millitick+0x32:		0x14b8
* .?w 32b8
_millitick+0x32:		0x14b8=	0x32b8
* .?ia
_millitick+0x32:		mov	ax,0x32
_millitick+0x35:
* $q

$
---- end of patch ----

If you're wondering, the mov ax,0x14 is setting up a divide by 20 for
HZ=20 machines.  The 0x32 changes it to 50 for HZ=50 machines..

Hope it helps,
--kory

Kory Hamzeh			    UUCP:     ..!uunet!psivax!quad1!avatar!kory
				    INTERNET: avatar!kory@quad.com

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (03/29/89)

In article <603@marob.MASA.COM> manes@marob.MASA.COM (Steve Manes) writes:

>I heard an unconfirmed story that Xenix 2.3's UUCP transfer time
>accounting is broken and shouldn't be trusted.  According to a friend of
>mine, he spent several hours sending files from his machine to a Xenix
>machine in Texas and the difference in transfer time, according to the
>logs of the two respective machines, was almost a factor of 2.  He says
>he believes that it's a bug in the reading of the HZ variable.

This is a known bug.  The HZ value has been hardcoded in place :-(

Erik Murrey posted the following message back in October which describes
how to patch uucico.  I applied it and it works well.  This also applies
the window=7 patch.

JB