[comp.unix.xenix] SCO & Archive Tape Drives

scott@boake2.UUCP (Scott Boake) (03/30/89)

Howdy!

I was just wondering of anyone else has seen this problem....

Intel 386 16Mhz
Archive Tape Drive

sometimes (most?) when you go to open the /dev/rct0 device, it comes back
with a "system to busy for efficient tape use" error message.  Have you
seen this?

Backgroup:
	This machine was running for about 2 years before I upgraded it to
	SCO Xenix 386 2.3.1 (it was running SCO Xenix 286 2.2.x) and every
	thing was fine.

	After this upgrade is when the problems started.

	I could not run the Trailblazer modem to work while the printers
	where running (droping characters / timming out), tape performance
	was poor at best - when it didn't bomb!

	Upon checking the system out, I found that turning the printers off
	while the modem / tape drive was running resulted in a HUGE increase
	in performance.  By watching vmstat, I came to the conclusion that
	this had to be due to the interrupts generated during printing.

	So installing a smart serial card reduced the number of interuppts
	from 100-150 per 10 seconds to 5-15 per 10 seconds.  (printers only
	running - both parallel ports)

	But I'm still getting the above error message!

	With the system in multiuser mode, nothing else running except for
	tar, quite often when you change / insert a tape, you will get
	the message "system to busy for efficient tape use", and the open
	for /dev/*ct* failed.  The error is comming from the device
	driver.  Arrrrgh!

	I've tried changing the size of the tape buffer (as suggested by
	SCO) and all that accomplished was altering the throughput.  It
	has no effect on this error message.  You may get this error
	3 - 4 times in a row and then it will take on the 4 or 5 th try.
	It may take on the second try... it may not take at all!  (I've
	found the perfect random number generator :-) ).

	The frustrating part is when a customer calls to tell you that
	when they placed tape 8 (could have been 2, 3, 4, etc) of a 12-15
	tape backup in the drive, it bombed with this error....

Sigh....

Any comments / suggestions ?

---Scott

Scott Boake                                       Small Systems Consulting
scott@boake2                                      P.O. Box 2142
..!uunet!pdn!boake2!scott                         5030 - 78th Ave North Ste. 10
+1 (813) 544 - 8152                               Pinellas Park, FL 34664

rosso@sco.COM (Ross Oliver) (04/01/89)

In article <261@boake2.UUCP> scott@boake2.UUCP (Scott Boake) writes:

>sometimes (most?) when you go to open the /dev/rct0 device, it comes back
>with a "system to busy for efficient tape use" error message.  Have you
>seen this?

When the tape driver opens the device, it tries to grab a large
number of _contiguous_ disk buffers (128K worth, I think).  If there
is or has been recently a large amount of disk activity, the driver
may not be able to get as many buffers as it wants.  That is the cause
of the error message.  You can usually clear it up by doing a "sync,"
which write to disk and release all of the dirty but unallocated disk
buffers.  If that still doesn't work, you may need more disk buffers.
Use configure(ADM) to increase the MAXBUF parameter.

Ross Oliver
Software Support Engineer
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.