[comp.unix.xenix] How to restor a level 0 archive?

Chip_N_Oliver@cup.portal.com (03/30/89)

Many thanks for those who previously replied to my request for info
on mounting this 2nd HD although it already had a root on it.  Now
I'm on to the next step which is to put a DOS (crowd grimaces)
partition on one of the HD's.  I did a level 0 backup of the disk
but now can't get the #?$%& archive restored back on the HD.

I'm attempting to restore a level 0 archive from a set of floppies while
booted from a boot floppy (V2.2).  I've tried various combinations after
having done a "mkdev hd" and/or "divvy -b 1 -c 1 -i".  Some people
have recommended using /dev/hd00 for the output device, others have
said to use hd0n (where n is the partition).  The XENIX manual gives
an example (in restor(C)) using /dev/hd1.

In any case, I haven't been successful with any of them.  I'm using the
following command:

restor rf /dev/fd196ds15 /dev/hdnn  (boot floppy on fd0, archive on fd1)
                                    ( tried using nn = 00, 01 & 1)

The result is that I receive disk read errors when I use /dev/hd00
and "disk full" messages when I use /dev/hd01.  The "disk full" message
is encountered several minutes into the read of the first floppy of a
12 floppy archive (apparently it allocates space for all the files
while reading the dump file?).  Before archiving, the file system only
used approx. 60% of the total disk space so I don't understand the
"disk full" message.

I'd appreciate it if anyone can shed any light as to what the problem
may be.

Notes:  I've tried using 2 different sets of archive floppies with the
same results.  I can not only do a successful dumpdir of the archive
sets, but also can INDIVIDUALLY restore files from the archive set.

Chip Oliver                                 coliver@cup.portal.com
Lockheed Missiles & Space                   sun!portal!cup.portal.com!coliver

--- this space left internationally blank ---

sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) (03/31/89)

In article <16436@cup.portal.com> Chip_N_Oliver@cup.portal.com writes:

>I'm attempting to restore a level 0 archive from a set of floppies while
>booted from a boot floppy (V2.2).  I've tried various combinations after
>having done a "mkdev hd" and/or "divvy -b 1 -c 1 -i".  Some people
>have recommended using /dev/hd00 for the output device, others have
>said to use hd0n (where n is the partition).  The XENIX manual gives
>an example (in restor(C)) using /dev/hd1.

To save a root system and restore onto a new disk I do the following:

	1. Backup
		- use sysadmin to backup root system to cartridge
	2. Make bootable floppy
		- use mkdev fd to make a bootable floppy system
	3. New disk
		- install and format disk
	4. Partition
		- use N1 release disk to install partition and file system
	5. Restore
		- use bootable floppy to restore
			restore /dev/rct0 /dev/hd0root

I havn't had any success with using fdisk/divvy/mkfs from the bootable
floppy (I'm probably doing something wrong). But the installation script
from N1 seems to do the job reliably.

The biggest problem is the multitude of different options. Once you get it
all figured out it usually works great.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca uunet!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)

Chip_N_Oliver@cup.portal.com (04/01/89)

>In article <16436@cup.portal.com> Chip_N_Oliver@cup.portal.com writes:

>>I'm attempting to restore a level 0 archive from a set of floppies while
>>booted from a boot floppy (V2.2).  I've tried various combinations after
>>having done a "mkdev hd" and/or "divvy -b 1 -c 1 -i".  Some people
>>have recommended using /dev/hd00 for the output device, others have
>>said to use hd0n (where n is the partition).  The XENIX manual gives
>>an example (in restor(C)) using /dev/hd1.
>>

> To save a root system and restore onto a new disk I do the following:

(backup procdeure deleted)

>	5. Restore
>		- use bootable floppy to restore
>			restore /dev/rct0 /dev/hd0root
>
>I havn't had any success with using fdisk/divvy/mkfs from the bootable
>floppy (I'm probably doing something wrong). But the installation script
>from N1 seems to do the job reliably.

One of my main problems is that I don't have the distrubution disks (pls
no tedious flames, the system is kosher - the person(s) who originally
put it together were long gone before I came on the scene).

I guess my next question then is where does /dev/hd0root come from.  Being
obviously green to unix, I'm having a problem understanding how mknod
works and how a root fs differs from an everday mountable fs.  I was
under the impression that "divvy -i" would take care of creating a root
filesystem (and it appears to) but something is still amiss.

I was slightly in error in my previous posting; while attempting a
"restore rf /dev/fd196ds15 /dev/hd01" the error message I receive is
"out of space" (not "disk full").

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (04/02/89)

In article <16527@cup.portal.com> Chip_N_Oliver@cup.portal.com writes:

>One of my main problems is that I don't have the distrubution disks (pls
>no tedious flames, the system is kosher - the person(s) who originally
>put it together were long gone before I came on the scene).

Call your sales rep at SCO and explain the situation.  As long as you
have the serial number of the system (type "uname -u") they will sell
you a replacement set of diskettes.  I assume that you do not have the
activation key, so you will have to get that replaced also.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon