[comp.unix.xenix] SCO Xenix 2.2.3 boot problem for HP Vectra ES/12 286

mjoshi@hpldsla.HP.COM (03/31/89)

I have a problem with booting SCO Xenix 2.2.3 on an HP Vectra
ES/12 286 AT box. The problem occurs when booting from floppy
for the filesystem (N2) part of the OS. The screen blanks out
and the Vectra just dies.

The SCO people claim that the problem is with the HP EGA
monitor that I am using. They support the IBM EGA
card in the strict sense, although I do think they should be
compatible. I don't suppose the drivers are incompatible
either, since the VGA card when used in the EGA mode does work.

I did try the fix floppies and they too did not work. Any one
tried this before and came across such a problem? I would
appreciate it if someone has a solution.

Manoj Joshi.
Scientific Instruments Division, HP.
(415)857-7099

karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) (04/01/89)

In article <2300001@hpldsla.HP.COM> mjoshi@hpldsla.HP.COM wrote:
>I have a problem with booting SCO Xenix 2.2.3 on an HP Vectra
>ES/12 286 AT box. The problem occurs when booting from floppy
>for the filesystem (N2) part of the OS. The screen blanks out
>and the Vectra just dies.

I had a similar problem a couple of days ago, on a 6 MHz IBM PC-AT
with a true-blue EGA.  Mine gave a blank screen with a lonely cursor
when I tried to boot from the hard disk.  It worked after I removed
cards that XENIX didn't recognize (Ethernet card, tape drive card).
These cards worked OK after XENIX was fully installed.

A friend tells me he had to install an IBM mono card and an IBM monitor
on systems he was upgrading to 2.2.3.  He couldn't do the installation
properly on his Hercules (Hercules clone?) adapters.

	Chuck Karish	hplabs!hpda!mindcrf!karish	(415) 493-7277
			karish@forel.stanford.edu

chapman@sco.COM (Brian Chapman) (04/04/89)

In article <1234@Portia.Stanford.EDU> karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) writes:
>In article <2300001@hpldsla.HP.COM> mjoshi@hpldsla.HP.COM wrote:
>>I have a problem with booting SCO Xenix 2.2.3 on an HP Vectra
>>ES/12 286 AT box. The problem occurs when booting from floppy
>>for the filesystem (N2) part of the OS. The screen blanks out
>>and the Vectra just dies.

Make sure you have one of the real PC-clone type vectras.  There
are older 286 Vectras that required a special vectra version of
2.2 SCO Xenix.   Also the special vectra version will not run
on the later true clones.

Note: there is nothing _wrong_ with the old non-clone Vectras.
Hp had a few features that were "better than" IBM compatible
and it took them a while to part with them.
--
	Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Brian Chapman		uunet!sco!chapman	SCO UNIX 3.2 Development